Up in Smoke

ajroland

Sep 4, 2005
Eastman, Georgia
Tonight while running trains. I noticed that my GP38's lights began to flicker. Then I saw smoke coming out of my digitrax dcs50 command station. I unplugged the power supply as quickly as I could. The zephyr is under warranty. My question is what could cause this to happen? Could there be a problem with the loco, track, or is the command station just gone bad? I would have thought that the zephyr would have cut itself off before getting fried. I was running one loco at the time it happened. I will get it repaired or replaced, but what caused it? Does anyone have any ideas on what to check?

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Mine was also quirky for the longest time. Lotsa minor things but the two major ones were that I kept frying the decoder in one locomotive in particular... my Challenger no less. Then, later on, I tried to wire a reverse loop modulator into my layout. It would not work no matter what I tried. Finally, we used an alternative system and it worked fine. This seemed to isolate the problem to the Zephyr command station. I sent it in under warranty and after a very short wait, received it back with a note that said something along the lines of - Tested unit, no problems found, replaced mother board. Hmmm, no problems found but they replaced the mother board anyways? Since then, I have not fried any more locomotives AND my reverse loop modulator works exactly as it should.
For what that's worth to ya.....

ajroland

Sep 4, 2005
Eastman, Georgia
Well, I'm going to send it in for warranty work on Monday. I am glad to hear that they fixed yours. Up to this point it was working fine. Thanks for the information. Time will tell I guess.