unloading log cars

Carrie Creek

Dec 9, 2004
Kansas
I am hoping that some one can tell me how they managed to unload log cars- pull the side stakes and chains without the logs rolling off on top of the poor guy. I have looked around on some of the sites and have not seen any thing that told me how. I have seen pictures of log cars being unloaded at the dump all I could make out is a line ran under the logs up to a pully on a pole that is pulled up on to roll the logs off.
Thanks Phil

I like this version, used by the SantaCruz Lumber Co.

Anlage_14.jpg

Anlage_15.jpg

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Some logging companies used a device called a "jill poke," a pole that turned on a pivot and could be used to shove logs off of cars. It looks like this--Keystone makes a kit for it:
L102.jpg

Carrie Creek

Dec 9, 2004
Kansas
Hey, Abig thanks for all the info but my basic question is still; how did they restrain the logs while releasing the log binders/stakes? You need some slack in the chain in order to unhook it. I know that safty wasn't that big of a issure back then, like now, but they still wouldn't want their help to be maimed or killed each time a car was unloaded! Even back in the 1900-1910's that I'm modeling I don't think anyone would work under those conditions.
Thanks again, Phil

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I have seen pictures of logging in Algonquin Park (Ontario) where a cable was wrapped around the logs before the stakes were removed. Some slack was given, and the logs unloaded in what appears to be a "controlled crash" onto the ground beside the car. They were then manhandled onto skids or wagons pulled by horses.

There was a quote here on The Gauge somewhere (can't remember the source - maybe jon monon) that goes "Back in those days, we didn't know about safety, so no one got hurt..." ;)

Andrew