Unknown Engine and A tie replacement machine septa/amtrak

YmeBP

Spotted some amtrak locomotives, and a tie replacement machine. The tie replacement machine was amazing!! It actually lifts up the track as it works. I'll have to stop buy tmrw and get more detailed pix this is driving by at 45mph.

IMG_0774.JPG

This is the beginning of the tie laying machine:
IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

I'll post more pix tmrw when i stop. Hopefully they will allow me to take pix :).

YmeBP

Interesting machine. Are they replacing the wood ties, or crumbly concrete ones? More pics

Replacing wood w/ concrete, the first picture was of all the concrete ties they had on the flats. I plan to go back to the work area tmrw and talk to one of the guys see if he can take some close ups for me or let me take them .. I'll post again once i get home :).

Triplex

The lead locomotive is a GP38H-3, a rebuilt GP40TC. The cab signal box (?) integrated with the right side of the nose is the giveaway.

YmeBP

I went back to the site they were working and took more pictures of the machine and a couple other maintenance machines along the right of way.

These smaller images don't do this thing justice, you have to see the details. I set the camera on full resolution so you can see the bolts if you use the links below hahah.

You can look at full resolutions of these images here, click the link near the words "Full sized" towards the upper right hand side of the window :
My beginner's attempts at railfanning :)

Freshly tie'd track:
IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

COMBAT

All I can say is WOW!

I never knew and I want to say thank you for taking those pics. Very cool to see how that works!

YmeBP

Believe me when i say it ... it was my pleasure hhahhaha. That machine has sooooo many moving parts it is a gear heads dream come true!!

I'm going back again on monday hahah :). I'd like to see how that extra set of wider gauge track works into the process, and i'd like to get a small movie of it actually replacing a couple ties dunno if you can tell but i'm fascinated by this machine hahaha.

Great pictures. Notice too that the old rail is lifted out to the side while new ribbon rail is put back with the new concrete ties. UP leases one of those machines and its called a P811. It's amazing how fast they move along. The limiting factor is the concrete ties. Replace and move till they run out. :D

Greg

YmeBP

I'm still stalking this piece of equipment, i can't get to a decent spot to take pix anymore but it's still on the tracks in my area. I'll have to see if i can find it tmrw morning :).

YmeBP

I'm still stalking this piece of equipment, i can't get to a decent spot to take pix anymore but it's still on the tracks in my area. I'll have to see if i can find it tmrw morning :).

My stalking of this giant machine has paid off :). I've found it again, and this time i got to talk w/ one of the track side workers. I've taken a video of the machinery in action. It's not of the actual process of tie replacement. I plan to get that tomorrow but here is some video of us at the site of the machine getting ready to start up again.

The voices you hear are me and my coworker asking questions. I plan to visit the site again tmrw.

YouTube - Train Tie Changing machine Part1

Part two is processing now :). I'll post again when it's finished.