Unitrack on plywood, how about noise ?

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
I wonder,:confused: I like the cookie cutter method that can easely be acheived with plywood, but do I need something underneath the Unitrack to minimize the noise produced by running trains ?

Thanks,
Paul

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
This is a personal decision...

...to me. I ran Unitrak on plywood and enjoyed the sound (especially a heavy train- 35+ cars). You may not like it. I think it's something you'll have to try and make up your own mind.

Mark

Bones

Apr 11, 2007
Lower Alabama
I use Unitrack for my temporary and mock-up layouts.
It's great stuff. Flawless reliability, doesn't warp like other brands, higher quality rail, always in guage, excellent electrical continuity, the list goes on....

But.... Unitrack on plywood is definitely loud. I find it distracting when I can't even hear the radio over the sound of a Kato and quiet cars running. I have played with weather stripping, cork, and a few other insulators under the track. It makes a HUGE difference. I would definitely go with some kind of sound insulation if this is your permanent track choice.
1 3/4" sticky-backed weather stripping was my personal favorite.... but, I also had about 200' of it left over from hurricane preparations. It's a bit tricky to lay down, but deadend the sound enough to be worth it.