Union Pacific converted hopper

This post is for anyone that has a limited amount of rolling stock, or is in need of a piece of rolling stock that you don't have enough of. I was in the second group...
uphop.jpg

so I took a UP coal hopper and since I don't run any coal on my layout, put a styrene roof on it. Then I took an old box car roofwalk, glued that and some sanded teeth from a piece of lego for hatches and voila...instant covered hopper. I followed that with some Testor's brown (which in fact made the roof look weathered) and now my kellogg's plant can get the sugar and corn it needs.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Innovation at it's best WVRR.
I might just try that on my coal wagons too (I don't haul coal either).
Only trouble is I'm no good with decals! :( and in N gauge I sure can't paint around the lettering!

I like your weathering, not too heavy, not too light.

Errol

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
That's always fascinating to see: Somebody needs a special type of model which you simply can't buy. And then some of us have that gift to take another model, add and/or change a few things - and there you are: A unique model which fills exactly your need! :) :) :)

This is a very fine example of a modification of an existing car. Congratulations, Ed!

Ron