Union Pacific colors

Scoobie

Hey all, I am going to change a F7 A&B to Union Pacific color scheme. Can anyone tell me the name of the UP yellow if any or the closest color.

UP SD40-2

Scoobie, UP's yellow is called "Armor yellow":thumb: , the gray color they use is "Harbor mist gray";) . :D -Deano

Scoobie

Thanks, Deano:thumb: Do you know if I can find it at a hobby store? Or do you know the mixture. By the way I love your pics of your UP layout.:thumb: :thumb:

UP SD40-2

Scoobie said:
Thanks, Deano:thumb: Do you know if I can find it at a hobby store? Or do you know the mixture. By the way I love your pics of your UP layout.:thumb: :thumb:
THANKS!, Scoobie:D . yes, you should be able to find those colors at your LHS:thumb: . I myself am pretty picky when it comes to colorstooth1 . i feel Badger brand "armor yellow" is the best for UP's yellow, and Floquil brand for UP's "harbor mist gray";) . i have also found when trying to match manufactures paints(Atlas, Athearn, P2K, etc.), those two brands i have mentioned are easy to blend in. announce1 JUST MY OPINION;)tooth1. one problem with using the brands i do is one of them is water-based, the other is solvent based, so you might find it to be a hassle to go between the two. if your LHS don't carry these brands, 1-ask them what they recommend, 2-ask if they can get them, 3-order them online OR,4-make it easy on yourself and get what is available to youtooth1 . IN ANY EVENT, i wish you GOOD LUCK on your project!:thumb: PLEASE post a pic of it when you are finished!:thumb: :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

alexander said:
How about that red stripe? what color is it
GOOD QUESTION!:confused: **for me, that color is usually...A DECAL!tooth1 if i am just doing a touch up on the red somewhere, Testors red works just fine:thumb: . :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

alexander said:
ok.

how about heavially faded paint? just mix in white?
NOPE, check out a faded UP red, SELDOM will you find it to be pink, it usually turns more of a orange tint, so you would add yellow to the red, IN SMALL AMOUNTS;) . :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

alexander said:
i actually meant more the Yellows and Greys. sorry i wasnt very specific
sign1 well in that case, YES:D , you would use white. being an auto painter for 22yrs has taught me when using black OR white when tinting colors, use very SMALL amounts! using black will "mud" colors out QUICK!, and white does the same;) . :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

sorry alexander, NOT into BN, so i am not sure:confused: . NOT that i am against BN mind you, just haven't noticedtooth1 . announce1 hey, you COULD go through ALL that paint mixing work to get a faded engine, but a 1000X EASIER way to fade an engine is to "white wash" it;). take an engine or paint an engine "normal", then mix a white water based paint with 70% isopropel alcohol. i use Polly Scale white and put about 2tbl spoons of that into 1 pint of the alcohol, you may want to use more/less paint. "wash" the engine with the mixture until it is to your liking, then dull cote it when you are finished. makes "faded paint" ALOT easier:thumb: . JUST MY OPINION;) . GOOD LUCK!:D -Deano