Union Pacific 4000 Series "Big Boy"

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by bugman72, Jul 16, 2006.

1. bugman72

bugman72 Member

I've loved this monster for as long as I can remember and have visited #4006 several times in STL, MO. Since I'm a "poor boy" and can't put myself up to paying $400 or more on a Rivarossi HO scale locomotive, I put this out for you all. Has anyone ever offered a paper model of this beautiful beast, whether for free or for sale? I would love to be able to build one with moving linkage and drive axles. I've built a couple of the old Monogram plastic kits, but I think seeing one in paper woud be outstanding.

Can anyone help me out on this quest?
  2. bugman72

bugman72 Member

I've loved this monster for as long as I can remember and have visited #4006 several times in STL, MO. Since I'm a "poor boy" and can't put myself up to paying $400 or more on a Rivarossi HO scale locomotive, I put this out for you all. Has anyone ever offered a paper model of this beautiful beast, whether for free or for sale? I would love to be able to build one with moving linkage and drive axles. I've built a couple of the old Monogram plastic kits, but I think seeing one in paper woud be outstanding.

Can anyone help me out on this quest?
  3. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

The Big Boy, Challenger, Niagara, and Berkshire are all on my "Design one someday" list. I have the nice drawings from steamcad.net as a starting point for the U.P. machines. I'd like working running gear too, but that may be a bit beyond me at the moment. So far the only rail model I've managed to cut paper on is a NYC 19000 series caboose.

Scott K.
  4. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

The Big Boy, Challenger, Niagara, and Berkshire are all on my "Design one someday" list. I have the nice drawings from steamcad.net as a starting point for the U.P. machines. I'd like working running gear too, but that may be a bit beyond me at the moment. So far the only rail model I've managed to cut paper on is a NYC 19000 series caboose.

Scott K.
  5. bugman72

bugman72 Member

OK, in my never-ending journey to see this beautiful locomotive in paper, I've gotten Microsoft Train Simulator and added a beautiful version of the Big Boy to operate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the data that Train Sim uses and use it to develop a model in Pepakura or similar program?

For what it's worth, I also have the Challenger 3977 with all of its passenger cars that I could use as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. bugman72

bugman72 Member

OK, in my never-ending journey to see this beautiful locomotive in paper, I've gotten Microsoft Train Simulator and added a beautiful version of the Big Boy to operate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the data that Train Sim uses and use it to develop a model in Pepakura or similar program?

For what it's worth, I also have the Challenger 3977 with all of its passenger cars that I could use as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Gmax works with MS Train Sim.
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Gmax works with MS Train Sim.
  9. bugman72

bugman72 Member

From what I've been reading, Gmax will only create files for MSTS and won't open existing ".s" or ".sd" files that MSTS uses. I have Gmax installed and the trainsim gamepack installed as well.

There's a link on TurboSquid's forum for a tutorial on how to create a train in Gmax. On this site, there are a couple of paper models that appear as though they were created from the Gmax file. I may send the gentleman an email asking if he created the model and if so, how he went about it. Here's the site, in case anyone would like to look at the paper models.

http://www.vmbollig.de/msts/index.htm

I'm getting closer to getting this figured out...I think.
  10. bugman72

bugman72 Member

From what I've been reading, Gmax will only create files for MSTS and won't open existing ".s" or ".sd" files that MSTS uses. I have Gmax installed and the trainsim gamepack installed as well.

There's a link on TurboSquid's forum for a tutorial on how to create a train in Gmax. On this site, there are a couple of paper models that appear as though they were created from the Gmax file. I may send the gentleman an email asking if he created the model and if so, how he went about it. Here's the site, in case anyone would like to look at the paper models.

http://www.vmbollig.de/msts/index.htm

I'm getting closer to getting this figured out...I think.
  11. diamondback

diamondback Member

Scott, this mean you're an NYC junkie? If you do the Niagaras, which version are you planning? They came in several versions:
    1. #6000 as-built, square-back smoke-lifters (the "elephant ears")
    2. #6000 retrofitted with the later angled-back lifters
    3. #6001-6023 and 5500 (5500 was a hotrod version, if its frame had been married to 6000's boiler the New York Central would've known what REAL power was...)

Which Berks, also? Are we talking the C&O/Nickel Plate version?

Any chance of slipping NYC Hudsons into the mix, too, especially the '38 and '41 streamlined versions?

If I can ever get my scanner operational, I have several books of nothing but passenger car schematics and several locomotive diagrams I could scan and send along. (I have the old Model Railroader Cyclopedia books of steamer and diesel plans somewhere, if I can ever find the silly things, along with a number of volumes of David Randall's definitive Pullman-Standard Library and Passenger Car (ACF & Budd) Library...)
  12. diamondback

diamondback Member

Scott, this mean you're an NYC junkie? If you do the Niagaras, which version are you planning? They came in several versions:
    1. #6000 as-built, square-back smoke-lifters (the "elephant ears")
    2. #6000 retrofitted with the later angled-back lifters
    3. #6001-6023 and 5500 (5500 was a hotrod version, if its frame had been married to 6000's boiler the New York Central would've known what REAL power was...)

Which Berks, also? Are we talking the C&O/Nickel Plate version?

Any chance of slipping NYC Hudsons into the mix, too, especially the '38 and '41 streamlined versions?

If I can ever get my scanner operational, I have several books of nothing but passenger car schematics and several locomotive diagrams I could scan and send along. (I have the old Model Railroader Cyclopedia books of steamer and diesel plans somewhere, if I can ever find the silly things, along with a number of volumes of David Randall's definitive Pullman-Standard Library and Passenger Car (ACF & Budd) Library...)
  13. silverw

silverw Member

Does anyone have close-up, quality pictures of the "real thing" or links to information of this particular locomotive??

.. Bill
  14. silverw

silverw Member

Does anyone have close-up, quality pictures of the "real thing" or links to information of this particular locomotive??

.. Bill
  15. diamondback

diamondback Member

Naughty, naughty, Bill. You oughta know better than to get a web-trawling heavy-metal junkie worked up...

Try:
    http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bigboy/

And you can even find a prebuilt 3d model at:
    http://steamcad.railfan.net/

These should give you some starters.

Also, Google "Steamtown" or the various other places listed in the first link above, some railhead's gotta have visited and uploaded photos.

Bear in mind, each individual locomotive will have some details differ from rthe others, and even from itself at different points in time. The current "park-engine" configs are about the most stable/predictable version.
  16. diamondback

diamondback Member

Naughty, naughty, Bill. You oughta know better than to get a web-trawling heavy-metal junkie worked up...

Try:
    http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bigboy/

And you can even find a prebuilt 3d model at:
    http://steamcad.railfan.net/

These should give you some starters.

Also, Google "Steamtown" or the various other places listed in the first link above, some railhead's gotta have visited and uploaded photos.

Bear in mind, each individual locomotive will have some details differ from rthe others, and even from itself at different points in time. The current "park-engine" configs are about the most stable/predictable version.
  17. silverw

silverw Member

BIG boy...

Ooopps!! :) .... Down boy... DOWN!!!

Just lookin, and maybe...thinking!! ...
  18. silverw

silverw Member

BIG boy...

Ooopps!! :) .... Down boy... DOWN!!!

Just lookin, and maybe...thinking!! ...
  19. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Gmax can with the Quake3 plugin, export any model as a Quake3 model. Then one can import it with the likes of milkshape if memory serves me correct.

Once in milkshape you can export to any other 3D software.
  20. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Gmax can with the Quake3 plugin, export any model as a Quake3 model. Then one can import it with the likes of milkshape if memory serves me correct.

Once in milkshape you can export to any other 3D software.