Unfamiliar Engine Markings

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
While I was driving east parallel to the UPRR mainline from St. Louis to Kansas City I saw a train yesterday that was led by a UPRR engine, followed by a CSX and the third unit was a well weathered red, white and blue unit marked HCLX on the cab. I've never seen one before. Can anyone shed some light on what it might be? The consist was car haulers.

Even thought it was Sunday I also saw, within about 50 miles traveling alongside that track at least three LONG empty coal consists headed west. They were the two engines on one end and one on the other. I couldn't count and drive, but they seemed to me exceptionally long, possibly well over 100 cars. Is that possible?

Bob

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Bob!
I'm seeing LOTS of UP locos on the CSX main between Louisville & Cinncinatti too...don't know whether they have some kind of lease/exchange going on, or what...?
The red engine is also a familiar sight around here...although I was thinking it was HLCX(?)...but anyway it is a leased unit belonging to a leasing company called Hughes, or something like that...they also run relettered units still wearing the old BN green scheme.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Thanks guys, that was sure one I'd never seen before. I don't have a lot of opportunity to travel along that UP mainline, but almost every time I do I see at least one CSX unit as part of the power on a coal train. Interesting, me thinks:D

Bob