UHU02's Valley Forge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vahmp

Master Uhu how in the world did you create those great realistic looking domes?? could you possibly explain more fully on which lines one should cut . I think that it is just the black wedges that should be removed but this does not explain how you created those fine lines that give it a glass paneled look. could you please advise. it is a very stunning effect and makes the whole model come to life. also i like the idea of using the material for making trees for model dioramas to add depth to the habitats within the domes.

Hi Samurai,

If I'm not mistaken...
You cut out the black wedges if you are making paper domes.
If you are making transparent plastic domes, you use the dome drawings as templates, to cut the wedges, then you scribe in the panel lines with a needle or some pointy tool...
(I kinda figured this part out, cause of building scratchbuilt models...)

As for gluing the plastic domes?
Well... I haven't fully looked at the download or instructions yet.

(edited; I was right, I just saw the templates for the clear plastic dome parts)

vulcan8630

Check page 10 of this thread....... Master Uhu02 was quite generous in sending a pictorial build and instructions on the "dome" build.......

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Hi Samurai,

If I'm not mistaken...
You cut out the black wedges if you are making paper domes.
If you are making transparent plastic domes, you use the dome drawings as templates, to cut the wedges, then you scribe in the panel lines with a needle or some pointy tool...
(I kinda figured this part out, cause of building scratchbuilt models...)

As for gluing the plastic domes?
Well... I haven't fully looked at the download or instructions yet.

(edited; I was right, I just saw the templates for the clear plastic dome parts)

From what I can see, Master Uhu uses clear celophane tape to join the clear dome edges. He cuts a shape (to match the two triangles to be joined at the edges), I think it's called a parallelogram, and sticks this on the inside. By using a bunch of these clear tape shapes, he works his way down from the center top to the bottom of the plastic dome.

Best Regards,
Ron Caudillo

Vahmp

Hi Ron,

Yea, I noticed that too, but as a scratchbuilder (I use all types of material) I don't trust adhesive tape very much, cause in time it will undo. I much prefere to lay a finite line of glue to put it together (it may take abit more time and patience, but the end result is much better (for me that is, each person has their fav... way of doing things. hehehe)

samurai32

domes

hey thanks for all the helpful input on construction. I guess I'll just have to play around with some practice stuff before I try it on the real thing to see how everything fits together. I agree though that tape might not hold for too long so gluing may be the way to go ,, we'll see. happy building every one.

Tintellaar

Ode to the Master...

I have been working on the VF for about two months now... Almost done... I have added some things, some that didn't work so well, others did... I will post pics when I am done...

AND, I want to add my awe to the list of awe's here... Uhu, wow... I, um, well, am just speechless as the quality and detail...

I have been on disability for about year, surgeries and stuff... And paper modeling has been my source of sanity...

I thank all, and appreciate all, and special thanks to you Uhu for your work...

Karl

Oh, Yeah, the domes... WOW, thought I would loose that sanity I talked about... musta done like 5 trials before I learned how... tough!

Tintellaar

Hiya, I have finished the Model! :) I am so pleased... Um, I did take some artistic license in a few areas, added a lot of little pieces... Say, it was just refitted for the domes and not all the deep space engines, fuel tanks were refitted for close to earth maintenance... It takes a bit to add files, time, so I will add as I have, time... :) Thank you again Uhu!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1016.jpg
    IMG_1016.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 29

Tintellaar

Some More...

The dome were very difficult indeed. I tried glue, super glue and the tape, he was right though, I finally got some double sided tape and along with pre-taping the dome slats together above the corner where it would be clamped between the inner and outer ring, then using the double sided tape once I had the form, I did OK. But, cutting the forms so that the slats would meet up properly, well...

Attachments

• IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 33
Z

Zathros

The domes are fantastic looking!! You should be very proud of yourself. They are great!!:thumb:

Tintellaar

More...

Making the waterfall was fun :) Nothing like the movie, but, at least its there...

Attachments

• IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 18

Tintellaar

More...

I wanted to show some of the other domes before the, well, domes went on... hehehe

I also added, which I read in many places on the net was a point of discussion, the access ramps... In the last one, you can see it up next to the rocks in the upper left... I figured they used elevators as what they do in the movie just didn't make sense. Thinking back, I shoulda put them in the center, but at least I did try to line them up with one of the main struts running under the dome... And, I know the scales are off, but it was a lot of fun to do!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 28

Tintellaar

Thank You Very Much Zathros!!! I put a LOT of work into the model and recognition from fellow modelers is much appreciated :) And as always, can't give enough thanks to Uhu for the design!

Tintellaar

Thank YOU

How does one thank the master??? WOW, thank you Uhu02, Your compliment makes my whole year! But again, I want to thank you for your work on the models I have several of yours I want to build yet, the Aries 1B, the Time Machine and of course completed - Silent Running... The Greatest of all movies and I get to build replicas from them... So, thank YOU...

Tint

Thank You Very Much ,Tintellaar!

Great job:thumb: …waterfall and forest
It looks much better than my designs:eek:

uhu02

Tintellaar

Upgrades...

I have been for some time been printing double or triple copies so I could cut out parts and raise (sometimes lower) them for more depth... well, I loved the way the artificial water looked and noted it had the surface tension effect, so, I used that at first with glue, then with the liquid water to make depth to the tanks and other structures on the model by creating curvature to the parts... After I got it somewhere close, I painted them white... too white tho, later i used a little black paint to try and match the space worn look of the rest of the craft... A lot of work and a lot of fun :) Came out ok I think. Later, as you can see the hex structures on the surface of the ship I gave curvature and then placed another thin paper print over the curve to give great appearance of depth, this really turned out well! Oh, I also added more tanks to the bottom of the domes and the ship surface as well, again, either using extra prints or parts from other models...

It is Uhu02's attention to detail that pushed me further! His work is an inspiration!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 25
S

sgoti

How does one thank the master???

Umm.. By doing the best job possible with one of his works (and in the process, hopefully encouraging others to do the same)?

Oh, wait- You're already doing that. :thumb:

Glenn

Tintellaar, that is an absolutely outstanding build. The model made by UHU is gorgeous, yes, but you've taken it to a whole new level. Congratulations of doing such a beautiful job.

Status
Not open for further replies.