UHU02's Automata

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
@Tonino is right. This is UHU02's more difficult models. There are so many thing that you could have easily screwed up, but you nailed this one perfectly. You should be proud of yourself for such.
KUDOS TO YOU ON A FINE JOB WELL DONE!!!

sadie

Thanks @Rhaven Blaack !! I really appreciate your encouragement :) Next, I'm going to make another one, but with straight legs, just like Uhu02 has on his website. Cant's wait to bring them both to my work place and display them on my desk. haha... Any suggestions on varnishing them? I read some posts on how to varnish or coat a finished paper model to make them more stable and also easy to clean. Someone mentioned using acrylic medium, I happen to have one at home. I will probably try it on an older model and see the result first. But what do you guys use, if any?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Sadie, you knocked this one right out of the Ball Park!! It's awesome!!

I would recommend, when finished, coats of either Gloss or Satin clear pain. The first coats should just be misted one till completely dried, then built up. This will keep the moisture out, which causes the paper to warp. In the future, use tooth picks, pieces of Balsa wood on the insides and that will also stabilize the model.

There are many ways to do this. Spray pain on a section of paper first to make sure it will not make your paint run, though, if you mist it on, it shouldn't. I don't like Varnish as it can Yellow a model. Some people use P)ledge Wax Polishing for wood, but I have never tried it. Try searching the forum, we have a very big database. :)

Last edited:

sadie

Sadie, you knocked this one right out of the Ball Park!! It's awesome!!

I would recommend, when finished, coats of either Gloss or Satin clear pain. The first coats should just be misted one till completely dried, then built up. This will keep the moisture out, which causes the paper to warp. In the future, use tooth picks, pieces of Balsa wood on the insides and that will also stabilize the model.

There are many ways to do this. Spray pain on a section of paper first to make sure it will not make your paint run, though, if you mist it on, it shouldn't. I don't like Varnish as it can Yellow a model. Some people use P)ledge Wax Polishing for wood, but I have never tried it. Try searching the forum, we have a very big database. :)

@zathros thank you for the tips on coating the model. It's really helpful. I will for sure look into the forum. Thank you all for your kind words :) this is so encouraging!! Glad to be a part of this group :toast:

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
@zathros thank you for the tips on coating the model. It's really helpful. I will for sure look into the forum. Thank you all for your kind words :) this is so encouraging!! Glad to be a part of this group :toast:

First off ..." GREAT JOB" this is really a very clean, beautiful build!!!

To add on to Zathros's suggestion...I do the same thing, but BEFORE I ever start my first cut, a light mist of Crystal Clear spray varnish on every sheet, front and back. On the thin stock this is usually all that is needed, on heavy stock 110lb-on up a second heavier coat to penetrate deeper into the fibers... I let it sit till dry, which is really fast! and never had a problem of the ink running.

Enterpriser10

Since the beginning. . .
Sadie, how well done is your work! !! Simply amazing! This model looks like a torn on robot waiting your command. Beautiful. Congratulations.

sadie

First off ..." GREAT JOB" this is really a very clean, beautiful build!!!

To add on to Zathros's suggestion...I do the same thing, but BEFORE I ever start my first cut, a light mist of Crystal Clear spray varnish on every sheet, front and back. On the thin stock this is usually all that is needed, on heavy stock 110lb-on up a second heavier coat to penetrate deeper into the fibers... I let it sit till dry, which is really fast! and never had a problem of the ink running.
@Gandolf50 , thanks for sharing this :) I will definitely give it a try for my next build ;)

sadie

Sadie, how well done is your work! !! Simply amazing! This model looks like a torn on robot waiting your command. Beautiful. Congratulations.

Thanks @Enterpriser10 :p
Remember I left a message on your "Faro Basso" a while ago? got very excited coz I just printed out the Vespa scooter when I discovered the thread, now it's time for me to start building it too :laughrolling: Your thread will for sure help me in the process. Can't wait to share it with you :)

Gandolf50

Staff member
Remember I left a message on your "Faro Basso" a while ago? got very excited coz I just printed out the Vespa scooter when I discovered the thread, now it's time for me to start building it too :laughrolling: Your thread will for sure help me in the process. Can't wait to share it with you :)
Excellent!! I have had that model for a very loooong time! Will love seeing your build thread on that one, and what you do with it!!

Gandolf50

Staff member
NICE!! is it finished though? If you still have the model, would love to see some photos :)
Oh! When I said "I have had that model for a very loooong time! " that means on the hard drive back-up, and never started! Worked for too many years for too many hours with too little sleep, and only retired recently! I have a hard drive and a rolling cart FULL of models I want to build..just have to complete the current ones!

Enterpriser10

Since the beginning. . .
Hi, Sadie. Yes, I remember your kindly comment. You was starting here. Well, watching your automatas I'm waiting for your Faro Basso and to see a result better than mine! You have a gift with paper. :Bravo::Congrats::Congrats:

sadie

Oh! When I said "I have had that model for a very loooong time! " that means on the hard drive back-up, and never started! Worked for too many years for too many hours with too little sleep, and only retired recently! I have a hard drive and a rolling cart FULL of models I want to build..just have to complete the current ones!
Haha :D
NICE @ a hard drive and a rolling cart FULL of models!! Must be excited to get your hands on them already! Please remember to share them with us :p

sadie

Hi, Sadie. Yes, I remember your kindly comment. You was starting here. Well, watching your automatas I'm waiting for your Faro Basso and to see a result better than mine! You have a gift with paper. :Bravo::Congrats::Congrats:

@Enterpriser10, I'm not sure if mine will be better than yours, you've done a great job so far Sir!! I already feel like this one is not gonna be easy coz of lots of curves :p If you encounter difficulties with this one in the future, just remember you're not alone thumbsup