UHU02's 2001 EVA Pod - Cautionary Tale

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Don't sell yourself short. There are not many who would attempt that model, and you've done a good job with it. You have learned a real lot, and left an excellent build thread. thumbsup

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Paper modeling is hard to do right off the bat! you picked this kind of thing because you seek excellence! This is an A job, think of the next time you build it, it will be perfect! Don't ever be discouraged.
I'm very impressed with your work. i look at these guys, especially the rail roaders and my soul groans, if I could only be like that!

Reactions: Jacopo1969

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
I try all sorts of glues and materials but I keep coming back to PVA and 110 lb cardstock. The same Georgia Pacific stuff that Gandolf 50 uses. I buy archival grade PVA sold with bookbinding supplies. I tried tacky glue but it's not as flexible as PVA when it dries. I've used supper glue which is good for some things but it's not flexible at all. Solvent based glues. Well they have solvent, which I try to avoid.
PVA softens the paper slightly and the paper can still be slid around and and adjusted for a moment or so. I like this. It makes the paper more like felt or clay with some stretch to it. But it depends on what sort of look you want for the model.
Currently I'm trying out rice-paper.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You can count yourself among the very few who have this model. Even less than have completed it. You should be proud of yourself. :)

Jacopo1969

Nov 13, 2017
You can count yourself among the very few who have this model. Even less than have completed it. You should be proud of yourself. :)

Thank you Zathros. Looking forward to having another go once I've learned some new skills. Very pleased this one is so presentable. Discovery should give me the opportunity to have a go at waterforming and using some different glue. Is regular UHU a recommendation (clear, in a tube, been around longer than time itself...)?

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
A pity - but to be honest I'm pretty happy with my pod as it is. Would love to hear more about this, so thank you!

:) I've just bought some 200gsm for my next model!

To be honest, I think some of the 'buckling' round the back was down to me not paying enough attention to pulling the strands together during assembly - I noticed my hemispheres did not have a uniform straight edge so I will be sure to pay attention to that next time I do something similar.

I've got on OK with the PVA to be honest.

Just so you know, I'm over in the UK - not sure how many papercrafters there are over here! :)

I lived in Lakenheath, Suffolk for 5 years.. Loved it !
at Last count I think there are around 14 Paper model sites in the UK ... http://www.paperwarbirds.com/ being one of the more recognized. Your completed EVA-POD is GREAT! and I ECHO all the other praise from our folks here!! :Bravo:

Will work up some sort of tutorial for burnishing..today..I don't have a way to do a video ( I do but dealing with a SLR Video, and editing and the like would eat up too much time, and I DO NOT own a CELL phone nor ever will so... ) it will have to be still pix..

Again Great job..and I eagerly await seeing what you do next!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Ta da!! 'Tis done m'lud...

You might want to open those pod bay doors now HAL.

Thanks for everyone's contributions to this thread.
This looks GREAT! You did a FANTASTIC JOB on this project! I have been wanting to build this model for awhile now (unfortunately it will have to wait (like all the rest) until I finish school). I will be referring to this thread as a reference guide.
Thank you very much for sharing this with us!
I am looking forward to seeing the build up of the Discovery (if that is what the last pic is hinting at).
I am certain that @uhu02 will be happy to see it as well.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Thank you Zathros. Looking forward to having another go once I've learned some new skills. Very pleased this one is so presentable. Discovery should give me the opportunity to have a go at waterforming and using some different glue. Is regular UHU a recommendation (clear, in a tube, been around longer than time itself...)?

UHU comes in a few different ways to apply, but basically all the same stuff. I have glued metal guard rails to paper with Zip Dry.

Jacopo1969

Nov 13, 2017
UHU comes in a few different ways to apply, but basically all the same stuff. I have glued metal guard rails to paper with Zip Dry.

Thanks Zathros. My Dad used to make paper 'Biltezee' buildings for my model railway using UHU in the 70s. Surprised it is still holds its own but there you go! Zip Dry comes in a super-glue type bottle, is that right?

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Much bigger. Non Toxic and Lignen Free (it does not yellow). :)

zip-dry-glue-package.jpg

Jacopo1969

Nov 13, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing you tackle the Discovery, I have the template & keep looking at it, then going "not yet..." :) One of these days ....

And space is an issue :)

Yes, space is an issue. Not sure where it will go! But I can't wait to try a build

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Every time I read a thread by Gandolf, I learn so much. He's a bastion of knowledge, he gives it freely too, answers questions thoroughly and is not heady about it. :)