Uhu02 interstellar Endurance

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
@Sky Seeker Thank you for the link. There is a local chapter of the IPMS near where I live. I visited it once and was quickly shunned by the entire group for not building "real models". I was told that I should come back once I have a "real model to show the group. Not only that, but I was also told that paper models were not allowed in any of the competitions, because "P" stands for "PLASTIC" not 'paper'.
That is just one of the many reasons that I canceled my IPMS membership... too many up tite folks, and the local chapter I was in wouldn't even look at a sci fi kit.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Some of the models IPMS look so shiny and fake, it's almost like they go out of their way to make them garish and toy like looking. I've seen incredible plastic models, I have no idea what would compel someone to go that route. Oh well. ;)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
@Sky Seeker Thank you for the link. There is a local chapter of the IPMS near where I live. I visited it once and was quickly shunned by the entire group for not building "real models". I was told that I should come back once I have a "real model to show the group. Not only that, but I was also told that paper models were not allowed in any of the competitions, because "P" stands for "PLASTIC" not 'paper'.

Damn! What a bunch of snobs / jerks.:robot3: You know they really limit themselves when they go exclusively plastic. Also, cost wise it's much more expensive. Modeling should be broader weather or not you use plastic, paper, wood, metal, resin, plaster, etc. It shouldn't matter what type of material you use just the willingness to be able to either follow directions or make up your own along the way. Creativity should be the thing not just what material you use.

I say create your own group and be positive and outshine them that way. You do great work and I'm sure others out there in your local area would appreciate that as well once they experience the joys (and sometimes frustrations) of paper modeling.

Sometimes you'll find an arts / crafts place that does all sorts of stuff weather it's pottery or canvas painting or other stuff most people haven't even heard of paper crafting or when they do they think that it's making gift cards. Maybe that's the group you can do a demonstration for they might be a little more receptive and egalitarian. Just a thought.:)

Sky Seeker
:tank:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Damn! What a bunch of snobs / jerks.:robot3: You know they really limit themselves when they go exclusively plastic. Also, cost wise it's much more expensive. Modeling should be broader weather or not you use plastic, paper, wood, metal, resin, plaster, etc. It shouldn't matter what type of material you use just the willingness to be able to either follow directions or make up your own along the way. Creativity should be the thing not just what material you use.

I say create your own group and be positive and outshine them that way. You do great work and I'm sure others out there in your local area would appreciate that as well once they experience the joys (and sometimes frustrations) of paper modeling.

Sometimes you'll find an arts / crafts place that does all sorts of stuff weather it's pottery or canvas painting or other stuff most people haven't even heard of paper crafting or when they do they think that it's making gift cards. Maybe that's the group you can do a demonstration for they might be a little more receptive and egalitarian. Just a thought.:)

Sky Seeker
:tank:

Thank you very much for the kind words. I wholeheartedly agree with everything that you said. It is all about the creativity of the individual and what he/she can make with the materials that they have on hand.
It is funny that you mention starting my own group. I have started a poll thread about starting a paper model EXPO:
http://www.zealot.com/threads/how-m...-are-interested-in-a-paper-model-expo.180505/
I am hoping that there are local members that are interested and able to help with organizing it.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
That is just one of the many reasons that I canceled my IPMS membership... too many up tite folks, and the local chapter I was in wouldn't even look at a sci fi kit.
Oh my, that is sad. A model is supposed to be a small representation of reality. Limiting this to the material used to build said model is a very narrow vision. Marco Scheloske once said paper models opened up whole new universes of model building. Surely it is not for everyone - so is plastic, too - but as long as you have fun and enjoy it, just do it and use whatever material you like.

I remember when 3D printers became affordable to ordinary households the topic came up if 3D printed things still qualify as model "building", since it is possible to have a complete item printed. All you would have to do in the end would be cleaning and painting the result. This is a similar POV because the actual "building" is done using a completely different technique (the model is built in the computer beforehand). And even if you only have to clean up and paint the result the procedure is not too different from finishing Wargame miniatures. All these different techniques, procedures and approaches enhance each other, they have their specific advantages and disadvantages and the builder should use whatever he / she prefers. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
First 3D printer I used was in 1984, and they were "Top Secret" back then. 3D printers take a very long time to print out on, and the materials which can be used greatly determine the cost vs. viability. Most people are familiar with the additive process plastic feeder types, but the laser scintered metal/ oven cured ones, the resin/laser ones, are far more interesting. 3D printing is a generic terms that actually covers an incredibly vast an different series production methods.

Bottom line is the home ones might be good for making some parts in a multimedia model, but they are very small, and take a long time to make those small models they do make. When you can either make your own (spending around $4000) then, you can make an incredible machine. Purchasing one at that price will give you something usable, but you won't get your money back on it, and it will depreciate vastly a month after you get it. Look for used ones, sometimes you will see them a good prices, but when you read the reviews, you find out why.

I have a friend who makes watch gear molds with a very expensive 3D printer, but he has been doing this for a very long time, and one could buy a house with the machines he owns. ;)