UA Turbo, That's the one I want!

Blake

Yes CN1, they are my photos. Feel free to download them for yourself. If you want to post them elsewhere just credit me as the photographer. You're right, it is quite sad.

weestan

such a sad ending

Hi, just saw your thread, and to answer your question, they were retired in 1982 and sent to the states for scrap, such a shame that nothing was kept in a museum or preserved in other ways.
I have the N-scale version of it, it still works, and it was made by Bachmann.
I just wished it would of been in better shape, I didn't appreciate for what it was at the time, but it is repairable now that i can appreciate it better.
Maybe Rapido will eventually make an N-Scale version in time.

Attachments

• UA Turbo-Bachmann.jpg
    UA Turbo-Bachmann.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 4

galt904

Rapido Trains Inc. - Welcome

Rapido trains is run by a guy who could only be called a Canadian passnger train fanatic. He is looking to make resin kits of the Turbo train, as well as LRC coaches and engines.

All Canadian eh!

Partly true, it should be here later this year finally, and in RTR, not resin kit! Check out the website, there's some video and sound clips of the model there!

ironhorsejohn

Record holder? I don't think so!

It looks "different" that's for sure, but it's extremely slick and small too. The Power unit is actually lower then a GP9.

It's also very fast. I still hold the speed record in the USA and Canada. That was 20 years ago too! 172 Mph on a welded stretch of track.

Sorry CN1, but the North American (USA, Canada and train Mexico) speed record has been held by New York Central RDC-3 number M497 since 1966! It was modified with two General Electric jet engines. In July of '66 it made a number of runs over a week or so on ordinary track between Butler, Indiana and Stryker, Ohio, eventually reaching a top sustained speed of 183.85 mph!

After these tests were conducted the jet engines were removed and M497 returned to regular commuter service. The whole project--a high speed passenger service feasability study--cost around $30,000.