U.S. Landmarks

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by FauxNews, Jun 9, 2006.

1. FauxNews

FauxNews New Member

Are they made? If there is a line of German Castles, why isn't there a line of national monuments etc? Or am I missing something?

Specifically I'm looking for the St. Louis Arch, or Mount Rushmore, though I don't think I'll find any luck, I've already had to make a custom built "Cadillac Ranch" which mainly consisted of buying some cadillacs at Target and sawing them in half....
  2. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

Well... The thing with those monuments is that they are BIG.

The Gateway Arch at St. Louis for instance would be 8 feet tall when modeled in HO scale. Mount Rushmore would be similarly big.. The casual modeler wouldn't have room for those on a small pike.

I think the easier way of doing that would be to paint it into your backdrop.
  3. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Love the Cadillac Ranch idea. Post a pictue if you can! Can't say I've ever seen models of any of the famous landmarks (with the possible exception of the Empire State Building as a 3-D puzzle) but I do recall a article long ago in Model Railroader in which a modeler created a whimsical Mt. Rushmore from plaster castings. Are you doing a Route 66 theme?
    Ralph
  4. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

the arch could be made at a scaled down size out of sheet styrene.must be out of touch the only Cadillac ranch I rember hearing about was a high priced bordello.:)
  5. spyder62

spyder62 New Member

No, that was the Mustang Ranch just east of Reno Nv. :)
    Never was there when it was open :oops: but would be a good model as it was the only U.S. Goverment run bordello ever, that was after the IRS took it over for back taxes.sign1
    rich
  6. sdduckguy

sdduckguy New Member

I did try and model Mt Rushmore on my layout. I'm VERY loosely modeling Deadwood Dakota Territory and tried as an amusing chronological anomaly adding MT Rushmore. I found a resin cast statue on ebay that's about 6 in long and 4 in wide. I built a steep mountain out of layers of 2" foam and embedded the faces at the top. It's totally out of time context and scale, but with a little imagination about forced perspective it works. It sits proudly overseeing the layout from one corner.

Done by a proud South Dakotan!
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Sounds like fun Bill!
    Ralph
  8. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

The Cadillac Ranch is on route 66 in Texas. A rancher there started buying old Cadillacs and burying them nose down along the highway with the tailfins in the air. There are probably 6 or so Cadillacs buried in a row.
    www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/TXAMAcadillac.html