U-Don's U-Boot typ VII C

Papa Mashy

Masher of paper
Thank you all. The support helps push on with these long tedious jobs.
Nearly had a meltdown earlier... Ripped a section I was 70% through. Just caught it with the forceps. :eek:
I can save it though, but decided it was time for a break.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Yep... when you think you are done and then notice a day later you glued that one thing in backward... I can't tell you how many times I have done that... Break-Time...!!!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
It looks very nice. Personally, so nice, I'd try and close the gaps on the saddle tanks a bit tighter, even if that means gooping them, and cutting in a seam. Just my 2 cents worth, either way, it is quite awesome!! ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Dang, that is a big model. What a wonderful display piece you will have!! :)

Papa Mashy

Masher of paper
OK. After a bit of a break, I'm getting back to this.

Added some of the deck features. i.e hatches and capstan.
I decided to put the capstan in the down position. The model instructions allow for "up" but I don't want to also put the bollards in the "up" position either, so I thought it would be odd to have the capstan up and bollards down.
Anyway, hatches on..
DSCN2245.JPGDSCN2247.JPGDSCN2235.JPG
The model instructions show deck poles fore and aft, however after further research I was informed that, unless specifically stated on the particular boat being modelled that the forward pole is present, then only the aft pole should be included.
Therefore, as I couldn't find evidence of a forward pole on U552, I've only put one on.

I've done a bit of highlighting of the deck panels with a fine black drawing pen, here and there just to give a bit more definition.

and so, on to the conning tower...

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
cf4afac9410f7440943a70a7fdcaf7aac9a6adf2ef5d33e47cc94bafdbad2c88.jpg

Papa Mashy

Masher of paper
OK. lower half of the conning tower under way.
DSCN2255.JPG
Usual prep work to create texture before paint - punching holes, burnishing with an empty pen and cutting out extra bits to give depth and not lose detail.
DSCN2254.JPG
and so the insanity continues...
DSCN2257.JPG

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I asked, because I wanted to see how you handled the bulge seam problems you had. They came out pretty good. You lost the square edge by allowing it to go in, filler would have worked better, then forming the line while the filler is still pliable. I would not ever constructive criticism like this to just anyone but only those who's who models are magnificent. which yours are, and this one is becoming. :)

Papa Mashy

Masher of paper
Thanks for the support and kind words all. I really appreciate them and any constructive criticism, tips & hints.
I don't think it matters how experienced or inexperienced you are, there is always room to learn from others.

@zathros - I agree that those saddle tank joints could do with a bit more work. I may well revisit those again when I start on the final weathering and general touching up once the main building work is done.

I was considering applying some nylon fishing line (super thin hook tie 0.05mm) on to those external tanks to replicate the weld lines, but I'm not sure yet.
This brings me on to another conundrum...
If I create the the railings, steps, hand holds out of appropriate gauge wire then it will ultimately look better than flat paper. However the model is still currently 100% paper.
So, this is my conundrum.
Do I use other materials in the pursuit of eye candy/and ease or..
Do I zealously make the entire thing from paper only, in the pursuit of purity. :-/

Both have their appeal..