U-Don's Lunar Module - Progress shots

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by rlwhitt, Oct 9, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I started the LM over the weekend and this is the progress so far. Overall I'm quite happy with the fit of things, and it's gone together pretty well. I did run into a couple of snags worth noting:

One is that there is a framework of cross pieces inside the descent stage body that is shown in photo 5 of instruction page 10. Maybe I really messed something up badly, but this would not come close to fitting for me. In frustration, I threw it out and scratch-built a couple of frame pieces of my own.

The other glitch is the engine bell on the ascent stage. Some of the parts in this kit get printed on both sides, for example so that the main engine bell gets dark color on the inside. The ascent engine bell was not so treated therefore would turn out white on the inside. I could of course just have colored it in with marker, but decided it would be better to do it right, so I made a reverse page for this one in the manner the author did for the others. I'm going to attach the resulting PDF file to this message for anyone else who wants it.

Now for some pictures! Click on the thumbnails for larger versions. First are the basic large pieces that I've completed. The "face" piece is not quite done and cleaned up here, but you get the idea:
    [​IMG]

Next is a close up of the ascent stage main body. This is an interesting build, as this thing is only made of a few parts. They are pretty "big", and are folded many times to achieve all this faceting. The advice here is to go slow and only glue a little bit at a time:
    [​IMG]

Detail shot of the front "face" section. This one is tough, again slow going is the watchword. I'm not totally happy with everything here, but I'm too lazy to redo such a large section. Again, few parts. In fact, all you see here is just 5 parts:
    [​IMG]

And all the bits so far, sitting together. The clever idea the designer had here is that the 2 stages are never glued together. Rather, there are bits of metal glued inside the two parts of the ascent stage that sit on the deck of the descent stage, and 2 magnets glued to the underside of the upper deck of the descent stage. The result is that they stay together in the proper position, but can be separated! Neat!
    [​IMG]

I'm frankly amazed that this was all done without software. The author states that this was done with pencil and paper. Amazing.

Now things start to get really difficult, I think. All the leg structures and thrusters, and antennae are going to be a challenge!

Rick

Attached Files:

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Completed Ascent Module

Finished the Ascent stage today. Man there are a lot of little bits to do on this!

[​IMG]

On to the Descent stage!
    Rick
  3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Completed Ascent Module

Finished the Ascent stage today. Man there are a lot of little bits to do on this!

[​IMG]

On to the Descent stage!
    Rick
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Your doing a great job Rick!
    It really looks good and a clean build too!

Russell
  5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Your doing a great job Rick!
    It really looks good and a clean build too!

Russell
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks! I feel the hardests is yet to come getting those legs done correctly.

7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks! I feel the hardests is yet to come getting those legs done correctly.

8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That is looking great! Thanks for the pics. I dont think I have seen a build thread for a similar type space vehicle before :)
    Chris
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That is looking great! Thanks for the pics. I dont think I have seen a build thread for a similar type space vehicle before :)
    Chris
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks for the link, Bengt! Good stuff. I was interested to see that he rolled his nozzles the same way I did, with a toothpick. But then I guess some things only have so many ways to do it. :)

Are you by chance familiar with the tool pictured in this photo?: http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/attachment.php?attachmentid=27970

Boy, THAT would come in handy in about a thousand different ways!

That CM and SM look really nice - do you know if he released files of the parts (or plans to, for sale or otherwise)? They look like the most detailed ones I've yet seen.

Rick

13. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks for the link, Bengt! Good stuff. I was interested to see that he rolled his nozzles the same way I did, with a toothpick. But then I guess some things only have so many ways to do it. :)

Are you by chance familiar with the tool pictured in this photo?: http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/attachment.php?attachmentid=27970

Boy, THAT would come in handy in about a thousand different ways!

That CM and SM look really nice - do you know if he released files of the parts (or plans to, for sale or otherwise)? They look like the most detailed ones I've yet seen.

Rick

14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Leather Puncturing Tool

Yes Rick,

It´s a tool for making holes in leather belts and the like - I own a really old one, which works OK for thick leather or cloth. But it is a bit worn out and not sharp enough for thin paper or card.
    A new and sharp one would probably be very useful, though.

The tool is very easy to center exactly where you want it and it rotates so you can pick the right diameter of the hole. Handy thing.

Best,
    Bengt :grin:
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Leather Puncturing Tool

Yes Rick,

It´s a tool for making holes in leather belts and the like - I own a really old one, which works OK for thick leather or cloth. But it is a bit worn out and not sharp enough for thin paper or card.
    A new and sharp one would probably be very useful, though.

The tool is very easy to center exactly where you want it and it rotates so you can pick the right diameter of the hole. Handy thing.

Best,
    Bengt :grin:
  16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

It's Done! A challenging, yet fun build. Next time maybe I'll put on real foil. ;)
  17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

It's Done! A challenging, yet fun build. Next time maybe I'll put on real foil. ;)

Attached Files:

• LEM.jpg
      LEM.jpg
      File size:
      117.2 KB
      Views:
  18. barry

barry Active Member

Really good looking build
  19. barry

barry Active Member

Really good looking build
  20. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

EXTREMELY well done, Rick!

That's a fantastic looking build. Although it's tough to imagine any improvements to the way it came out, perhaps real gold-colored foil would be the only thing that comes to mind...I'll help eat the Hersey almond kisses, if you need a volunteer! (Nah, gotta watch my sugar levels, now that I think of it :cry: ) That being said, it looks great the way it is, frankly.

Thanks for sharing this impressive build with all of us!

Cheers!
    Jim