U-2536 - Halinski

Bob Ebophalus

Hey guys. I've finally started a build worthy of posting on the internet. I started this kit a few months ago, but school was getting in the way of building. Now that my schedule is slightly less full, I should be building slightly faster.

So far this kit has been excellent, with everything fitting great. If it didn't fit, it's my fault, as I couldn't find any cardboard exactly .5mm. The stuff I have is a bit too thick, so there are a few small misalignments, but nothing major. Also, if i use the incorrect name for something, please forgive me as I am not very familiar with submarines.

Enough with the talking lets get some pics!

jcrespo

I love submarines and hope someday to build one or two. Meanwhile I'll watch your thread for progress. Looks like you're doing a good job of putting this one together.

Joe

Gil

Nice to see a submarine for a change...., also nice of you to take the time to post the build. Thanks!

Gil

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys,

I just wanted to bring to ya'll attention that for those of you who like submarines, we have the USS Skipjack in our parts bin for free download. Its a really nice model of a more current sub by Alan McGrew and makes a nice display piece.
Bob, your sub looks great so far, I cant wait to see more of it as you progress, please post pictures often, I love subs.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW

barry

Conning tower looks just like the one afloat in Germany nice job (bremerhaven ??? michael)

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Bob! :D

Great start, and superb photos. I love the detail work on the conning tower and the guns.

I look forward to more photos and updates as you go along.
Excellent job!

Cheers!

Jim

yaniv

hi man

g8 work and i al so love sub marins
and 1 from halinsky wowwwww :)

i just got to BIG models from halinsky thet i by them from 1 guy thet never found the time to make them
1.yamoto jap batel ship
2.gambier bay uss

I CANT WAIT TO START THEM BUT I HAVE ALOTS OF MODELS THET WAIT :(
(sorry for the caps lock)
i think this week i will make the litel smol airplans from the models :)

hope to se emore g8 work and pic from the sub model :)

Bargee61

Good to see a Sub being produced for a change. You are doing a fine job, will follow thread with interest.

Mike

bfam4t6

Yes, it is nice to finally see a sub being built. I've thought that when I do decide to finally tackle a ship, I should warm up with a submarine. It seems like the odd shape would give me plenty of practice for a ship's hull, and the details seems to minor in comparison to some of the big battleships. I'll watch this closely Bob. I'm more of a lurker than a poster in the ship threads, but don't worry i'll be watching :D

Bob Ebophalus

I'm back! and I've brought some more pictures. Thanks everybody for the kind complements. Sorry for the long wait since the last post, but my building speed is somewhere between snail and turtle :(.

cmdrted

Bob, your boat looks great, I spent 2 years under the sea in boats and one thing that always struck me funny was the hulls were never very smooth and sleak as the Renwal/Revell models. The superstructure/hull plates and sail (conning tower area) all had plates that looked like they were pushed in or not "skinned" too smoothly. That is normal, especially being subject to deep dives. In short you U-boat is coming along just fine, great build.

Bowdenja

Yeah............. I haven't chimed in but the build looks very good! Old subs weren't very smooth at all. The new ones are pretty slick though!

Look forward to more pics as the build progress.

john

Bob Ebophalus

seawolf: The kit was about 9 or 10 US Dollars. There are two pages of colored parts printed on cardstock and two pages of black and white formers printed on regular paper.

If the old subs weren't very smooth, then mine is extra scale :lol:. Hope these pics aren't terribly boring.

seawolf

tks for the info Bob, will try to find one :)
regarding the 'extra' scale I've sometime encounter such problem, then (alas) I gotta re paint the whole model . . . hhhh

Bob Ebophalus

In case you were wondering, I'm not dead and I haven't given up on this, just doing things that get in the way of building. To make up for my absence, I bring you pictures. I hope I'm forgiven.

The next major fitting error. When the piece is lined up at the top, this is what it looks like at the bottom. Not so good. Luckily, the designer or painter got their left and right mixed up, so it fits on the other side. Unluckily, the rust stains at the top don't match.

As you can tell from the picture below, I've gotten most of the side done, just three more panels on each side.

My joints have gotten somewhat smoother. Nowhere as good as some people, but still bumpy enough to be scale :D

There will be a piece that goes over this area, but the other part wasn't fitting where it should, so I'm going to trim it a bit and do this later.

Another bad spot. I think I can fix this with a nicely colored strip of paper. Unfortunately, I don't have any paper this color. I've been edge-coloring with a pencil, but it looks different on flat paper.

As you can see, there is nowhere to glue on the next piece.There should be half the width of a former left in the circled area. I'll have to make some little flaps for gluing.

Thanks for all the comments :)

Kevin G

Build looks great!
Instead of making flaps could you make a piece out of the same board used for the formers and glue it to the former? Seems like that would be the way to go to keep everything fitting right.
Keep up the good work and remember that there is always someone worse at building than you (that would be me of course! :lol: ) that looks at your model and wonders how you get it to look so darn good!

Bob Ebophalus

Excellent idea Kevin. That should save me a considerable amount of trouble. If you have any questions about any procedures, feel free to ask and I will try to explain as well as I can.

Bob Ebophalus

I have returned. I bring pictures.

Two more pieces have been added to the stern.

Yes. They really are there. No matter from which angle you look.

I have also put on the piece to cover the gaping hole in the bottom. This one required quite a bit of fitting and trimming. But I think it looks ok now.

Side view.

I've also started Nobi's T-55. I'll have a thread up soon.