Tyson! They're Here! They're Here!

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I got the hoppers and the caboose today. THEY'RE AWESOME!!!!

And I didn't know that you were going to decal them! And those custom loads look great, too!

I took some pictures. I wish my camera would get clearer shots, because the photos really don't do the cars justice.

I took the new cars on a test run up the branch line (as far as there is power, that is). This first one shows empties on the siding:

Attachments

• empties.jpg
    empties.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 161

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Here it is coming out of the tunnel. I'm planning on working on the tunnels a bit today. Hopefully this weekend I'll have all of the track in place and powered up. Those beat-up hoppers look awesome!

Attachments

• outofthetunnel.jpg
    outofthetunnel.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 159

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
This section of track, which runs by the station in town, is not powered yet. In fact, it's not even fixed down! You can kinda see where it says "Copper Ridge Railway" on the sides of the cars and caboose. Cool!!!

Attachments

• goingbytown.jpg
    goingbytown.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 136

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
And here we are at the mine! Well, one day there will be mine there... In point of fact, there isn't even a continuous piece of track up to this point. After I finish setting up the tunnels, I'll permanently install the third level and set up the track.

I hope everyone enjoyed the tour!

Thanks, Tyson! You've made me a very happy railroader!

-Rory

Attachments

• atthemine.jpg
    atthemine.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 135

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Whew! Was worried you might get mad because of me playing with those two hoppers! Just goes to show what a bunch of whacko's us models railroaders are because we are happier with beat-up stuff then new stuff :D ! I had a lot of fun working on those hoppers, had me wishing I had a place and reason to put a mine on my layout. Glad to see em' get a good home. Now about that trade agreement, can you use timbers to expand or shore up that mine?????

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Yep, as soon as construction on the mine begins, they'll need plenty of timbers. What did you have in mind? Hopefully very soon the CRRy will be producing pulpwood and various copper ores to send out on the R&K...

Do you have a paper mill? What about a copper smelting facility, or a wire factory?

I've toyed with the idea of putting in a smelter that can churn out copper sheets, rods or pigs. But I don't know where I can squeeze it in...

-Rory

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
In real life the Murphy Branch existed in part to feed the Champion Paper Mill in Canton, N.C. and my NM exists for the same reason. I need all the pulpwood I can get. The nice thing about it is all you need to make a load is some twigs and a razor blade. BTW when you decide on a paint sceme for the CRRy. if the color is light enough for black lettering to show up on I can send you a decal sheet with your roadname in several different sizes. If you come up with a slogan I can put that on there too. Just remember the smaller the R.R. the more grandoise the slogan for some reason :D . The sawmill in Robbinsville which supplys lumber for my furniture factory can crank out some timbers for your mine. Have you figured out where the CRRy. is located at yet?

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I haven't figured out a paint scheme yet. My initial idea was to go with the basic black with gold lettering. But whatever I do, it's going to be a little ways off. I want to buy an airbrush and learn how to use it first before I subject my precious locos and rolling stock to it!

As far as location is concerned, I have it down to one of two places: the Appalachians, or somewhere in Alaska. The R&K was sorta in the area of the Ozarks, so I'm leaning more towards an eastern location. But I don't know of any successful copper mining operations in that region... I'm still working on the exact details. I know it's awful of me to have decided on the theme without much regard to the locale! :(

-Rory

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Rory,
I don't know anything about copper smelting, but if it requires the purchase of any chemicals, I have a chemical plant which ships a lot of dangerous compounds all over the country! (just ask Tyson :) )
I also have a foundry which these days is in the business of producing machined parts, & you might need some of those for mining equipment, etc...
BTW - I really like the ore train, & think that the whole mining theme is really cool!:cool:

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Rory copper mining is big business in east Tennessee. The most well known is Copperhill (strip mine), at one time more traffic was generated there then anywhere else on the entire L&N main line. Smaller hole in the ground copper mines were all up and down the lower appalacians in E. Tenn., S.W. North Carolina, S.E. Kentucky, even N. E. Ala. Most of these smaller mines played out by the late 50's or early 60's. It's also an area that has always been big on pulpwood (which was hauled in flatcars, hoppers, gondolas even boxcars), Don't know if there was ever much in the way of puplwood operations in Alaska. If you located in the Southern Apps one of the most logical connections to your railroad would be the L&N, making working out that trade agreement with Charlie and me a breeze :D :p :D Of course other connections could be Cotton Belt, Frisco, Southern, IC, and a zillion others both big and small. As far as picking your theme before your locale that's no big deal, I know a lot of people who do that.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Then Eastern Tennessee it is! That's a beautiful area. We rented a cabin near Pigeon Forge a couple of years ago. I knew that there is/were some mines there, but most of the modern copper mines I've been finding info on are the big open pit mines.

Here is a map of the L&N that I found: http://csx.history.railfan.net/maps/mapln2.html

Look south of Knoxville, right at the Tennessee/Georgia border...there is a town called Copperhill. There has been considerable copper mining in the area, and there is even a scenic railway that runs through town. I think this would be a perfect location! Maybe the town of Copper Ridge is located near Copperhill...

http://www.theblueridgehighlander.com/polk_county_tennessee/
http://www.brscenic.com/

I'm also finding some good pictures of railroad scenes that I can model from the area.

-Rory

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
This is GREAT!
Looks like we've got another L&N fan on The Gauge!
Rory,
You're definitely in my stompin' grounds now!
If you look on the map, on the line running from Louisville to Cincinnati, just outside of Louisville, there is a place called St. Matthews, & then one called Lyndon. I live right between those two, about six houses from the track.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Found it, Charlie!

Looking at the map, follow the line south from Louisville until you reach Park City. Take the line to the east and you'll be in Glasgow! :)

-Rory

"Just a greasy spot on the L&N!"
-one of the Little Wharvey Gals from O' Brother, Where Art Thou?

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Rory that loop you are referring to is nicknamed the "Hook & Eye" and is my prototype reason for my Tellico Gap loop around the tobacco farm. The Tenn., N.C., Ken. area is rich in railroad history (the amount and type of short lines is unreal) and I guess with you now in Tenn., me in N.C and Charlie in Ken. we have the tri-state area covered :D . There are a ton of books out there about R.R.'s of this area, one I would highly recommend is Louisville & Nashville's Atlanta Division by Michael George. It covers the Copperhill area extensively, also has lots of photos. If you are still planning to use a combine to haul workers with I found an old 60 ft. steel combine when digging out those ore cars, you can have it if you want it.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I know Glasgow well, Rory!
It was named that because of the large number of scottish immigrants that settled un the area.
I spent a good part of my youth not too far from there, living with my grandmother on a farm near Sonora, KY, which is right on the main stem, between the L&N's namesake cities. Where I lived in Louisville, the "Short Line" between Lou. & Cinn. was right in my Mom's back yard. Mom's still there, so is the RR, only now it's called CSX.
Speaking of books, in addition to the one Tyson mentioned, see if you can find one called The Louisville & Nashville In The Appalachians by Ron Flanery. (pub.1990 by Old Line Graphics) While this deals primarily with coal traffic, the photography, scenery, & all the trains are out of this world! Another great book by the same people is The Clinchfield. (not sure of the dates on that one, Tyson might know...that's definitely in his neck of the woods)
Also, if you're interested in Tenn. RR's, there's another book called Ghost Railroads Of Tennessee by Elmer Sulzer. (1975 Indiana University Press) This gives a thorough RR history, & is a priceless source of info for a modeler...lots of great pictures, & lots of history.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Thanks for the tips on the books. I'll check my local library for information. I'm sure I can find them on Amazon.com or order them through my local Hastings store.

Yep, apparently we Glasgows made a stop in Tennessee as we spread west. From what I understand, a number settled in the Carolinas, some in Tennessee and others in Oklahoma. They spread out from those places (my dad was from Oklahoma).

I wish I had lived near more railroads. I was really into trains when I was a kid, but there weren't many places where I could indulge my curiosity. Plus I missed the steam era by a couple of decades (born 1969).

Small world, isn't it, Tyson? I had never been to that page nor heard of that loop until today. My entire basis for my layout plans were based on studying trackplans made by other people: the Rocky Ridge layout published in recent MR mags (set in the West), Mike Fischer's 2x4 mining layout, and the logging layout plan that Shamus put up in another thread (which was the direct inspiration for the one that I came up with). Little did I realize that I could so easily fit the trackplan into such a specific locale!

And YES, if you don't mind parting with it, the combine would be great! I'm going to have to make you a partner in the CRRy what with all the rolling stock you've sent me!

-Rory

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Rory it's customary to name passenger cars (yeah, I know it's a combine, close enough) and I was going to name it the Nantahala. But then I think you could get some brownie points if your wife saw her name on it. Just tell her it was your idea of course :D . Is her name Kristy?