Tyco Mantua Driveline.. not running.. Help?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by BrianM, Dec 19, 2005.

1. BrianM

BrianM New Member

Hi All,

I'm new to these forums. Former kid with HO layout, never been a "collector"......Just bought a collection that dates back to 1955 (nice Atlas brand track layout with mountains and tunnels!)

Included where several Tyco/Mantua Santa Fe 8 wheel drive locomotives. Took them apart and polished the contacts at the trucks and at the motor. Oiled all moving parts which are free to run.

Applying power directly to contacts, motor runs, but weakly. Runs on track, but steady light stream of smoke comes from motor (no oil added in that area by me). Have three of these and all are in a "weak" state. I suspect corrosion and poor contacts from sitting.....

Is there anything I can do to make these motors run more strongly?

Is there any benefit from goofing with brushes. I gather that these Tyco Mantua's are about 20+ years old, but I'm must guessing. Seem like there are very well built.
  2. shortliner

shortliner Member

Just a guess - but the motors may well be in need of remagnetizing. Try cleaning the commutator on the motor (the bit the brushes press against)with very fine "Wet and Dry" paper - it should be shiny with no trace of corrosion. No idea where ypou will be able to get replacement brushes, if that's the problem
    Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
  3. BrianM

BrianM New Member

Hello Jack,

I think I can handle dismantling and polishing the commutator. Just glanced at them, but aren't these brushes usually made from graphite? If so, I'd think that is something you could buy in rod form in McMaster-Carr..

When you say "remagnetize", so you mean replacing the permanent magnets? I've obviously never pulled one of these babies apart to that granularity.

Thanks

B
  4. shortliner

shortliner Member

Brian - I only know that older Hornby and Playcraft units here in UK, especially those that had been locked away in boxes for a long time, would loose their magnetism - there are/were a couple of places here that would do re-magnetizing. Basically the magnet is taken out and put on a magnetizing rig. One advertises in Railway modeller - I have just spoken to him - he suggests you make contact with him via Email derek dot rewinds at IC24 (thats India Charlie) dot net . Replace appropriate words with symbols. If you want to speak to him you can ask for his phone number rather than me putting it on here. He can also advise about brushes, armature rewinds, etc. Hope it helps You can mention that I sent you, as I explained that you aren't in UK
  5. BrianM

BrianM New Member

will do,
    Thanks
    B
  6. shortliner

shortliner Member

No Problem
  7. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Jack,
    The commutator, that the brushes contact, is made up of plates, a pair for each winding of the rotor. Clean out the slots between each plate, and try again. "stuff" builds up between the plates, and shorts them out (the smoke, and the weak running are symptoms of shorts between the commutator plates).
    Pete
  8. BrianM

BrianM New Member

Wow... that's sounds like we've hit the jackpot.... will clean them and get back to you on success...

makes sense.. the "stuff" between plates ought to be carbon from the brushes which is very conductive....

thanks

Brian