Two year old killed by Amtrak train.

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Russ Bellinis, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

The LA Times had an article today about a 2 year old killed by an Amtrak train. The baby sitter walked across the tracks leading a 2 year old and a 4 year old while carrying her baby. She left the toddlers by the track while she returned to pick up a stroller. The 2 year old tried to follow her back across the track and was hit by the train while standing on the track. How can a person be old enough to have kids and still be so stupid?
  2. zedob

zedob Member

Seems to be a growing problem these days. Kids having kids. Believe me, I know, I'm raising my grandchild. But that's ok, she likes trains.:thumb:
  3. jetrock

jetrock Member

Apparently this wasn't even the babysitter, the original babysitter had another sitter watch the kids for her! The subletted sitter may not have had kids at all...but, so far as I know, nobody hands out IQ tests as a requirement for having kids in the first place. The only requirement is working sex organs, and we generally get those at about age thirteen.

"Kids having kids" is not a new thing, nor it is a growing problem. There was a time when 14-15 was just the age when people started having kids...and the average person only lived to 30-40.
  4. zedob

zedob Member

Seems to be a growing problem at my house:D

If you were 14-15 yrs old, you were considered an adult , back then. All things being relative, I guess.

As for the original question of someone being old enough to have kids and being so stupid, I 've come to the realization that stupidity is not bound by age (I have scars to prove that).
  5. brakie

brakie Active Member

Guys,That is sad indeed..God have mercy on the parents and of course the engine crew that must live with this tragedy. :(
    As far as the baby sitter I hope she faces negligence homicide charges and gets the maximum sentence..
  6. interurban

interurban Active Member

That poor child a young life ended :cry:

Commonsense is not common to folk these days , something that is sadly lacking in our world.

The crew must be devastated. :(
  7. Hoghead

Hoghead Member

Let us not forget a first hand witness. The engineer, it is something that will haunt him for the rest of his life.
  8. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

What I find amazing is that the city has had a pedestrian crossing light at that spot for years, but no ped. crossing for the tracks or barriers either. According to a newspaper article posted on another forum, dozens of people walked across those tracks while climbing over the police barrier tape during their investigation.