two questions

ttmac

Dec 2, 2004
Wicklow, Ireland
  1. What is the average life span (continuous use) for ho/oo engines
  2. Can American locos be run on Irish model railways? 220vAC converted to 12vDC.
Thanks,

Tom.

SteveJ

Dec 3, 2004
1. That varies widely. Depends on make, maintainence, operating conditions etc. Couldn't even make a wild guess.
2. As long as you're on the 12V side of the supply, then yes.
SteveJ

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
In daily use, with proper maintenance and so on, I would guess that life span of the quality locos in measured in decades. As for "real" continuous use (i.e. take it out of the box and run it until it stops), you are probably looking at a few hundred hours until lubrication is needed, which if not done, leads to drive train problems... ;)

There was a guy posting at the MR forums who volunteers at teh Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, and he was giving regular updates on their new US$3.5 million layout, including wear and tear on the locos.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
A long time ago Hornby had the record for continuous running -- on a loop in a shop window. I think they managed about 500 hours before the motor brushes wore out.
One of my friends managed to run his loco until there was a noticeable groove in the tyre.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Before Cypress Gardens closed down, Bachmann sponsored a display layout at the park. A club operated the trains via computer, and they used Athearn engines. I think I read in Model rRailroader about the layout that the life expectancy of the Athearn Locomotives was about 2-3 weeks. They then needed a complete rebuild. One of the reasons they ran Athearn locomotives was that all of the spare parts were readily available and they are easy to rebuild.