Twice-around plans?

Papa Bear

I'm looking at using the "second layout" option for expanding the beach railroad. The new layout would have a brach that connects to the spur on the beach railroad.

As for the new layout, I'm envisioning it as a more "inland" area, perhaps in northern Florida and South Alabama. Some hills, red clay, and a lot of trees! I'm considering is a "twice around" in about a 3'X6' area (N-scale). The track would be on a single level and cross itself using a 15 degree right-hand crossing. My question is: Is it worthwhile to do this, or would I be better off with just a single-lap oval and using the crossing for a branch or industrial line.

John

jon-monon

IMHO John, you have plenty of room there for an N scale layout, and a proper double main with a crossover would make a better layout than the twice around, unless you just want to let the trains do laps, then the twicearound would be nicer. My real first choice would be a single main with a lot of sidings, but that's just me! :D

This is a door-sized (30x80) plan that has a twivce around and double track (throw the red turnouts to make the switch) wouldn't be hard to extend the siding along the bottom to connect with your other track.

Attachments

• monzaloop2sm.gif
    monzaloop2sm.gif
    41.9 KB · Views: 422

brakie

A well plan twice around will work by avoiding to much track in a small area..However,for my tastes I would prefer a double track main line with crossovers for access to the yard and engine terminal which IMHO is superior to the twice around... :D

Papa Bear

Thanks for the comments, guys. :wave: I threw some track together the other day, and this is what I came up with. It's just quick and dirty and by no means a final plan. As it is, there is room to add spurs and to adjust the size of the loops.

I am also considering double track instead of the twice-around. My main reservations about double track are that it's harder to scenic around than single track (although the twice around will likely have the same problem!), and that it requires more turnouts (which are not cheap with Unitrack).

Brakie, did you say that at one time you built a double track N-scale layout? If so, do you have any pictures?

John

Attachments

• layout_idea.jpg
    layout_idea.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 350

brakie

John, I built that double track door layout back in 1979 and use it for about 10 years.Sadly I did not take any pictures but the track design is still fresh in my memory.It remains one of my best designs to date..I can do a rough draft if you would like.