TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

You people amaze me....

Or worry me, I can't decide which... ;)

Rick
  2. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Well, I finally figured out how to scale printing, so I had a go at it; just simple stuff;
    View attachment 6360
    The fish is 2", printed at 10%
    It wasn't small enough, so I tried the Trojan Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail;
    View attachment 6361
    It's 1/4 inch, also printed at 10%.
    Fun stuff, but I have no idea how some of you guys do the really tiny stuff you do!!
    Chris

Attached Files:

3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Yes you do! That fish is really neat! Do one more...earrings! lol
    That Rabbit is a hoot!
  4. Chthulhu

Chthulhu Member

Chris,

Wonderful! Does it still roll at that size? <G>

May I use your image on the Rabbit's Web page?

Mike Hungerford
  5. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Mike;
    I'd be genuinely honored if you did. I've done a few of your models and I must say simply...thank you! Genuinely appreciated! Unfortunately, I raced through it and it's only a static model. Maybe I'll have another go at it later to get a rolling model.
    The funny part is that the fish looks more real at 2" than it does at 11"! This micro-scale paper modeling does have its' own level of fascination...if only my eyes hold up for it!
    But a real question; how do you roll paper at this scale for gun barrels, pitot tubes, etc.? This is all a bit new to me!
    Chris
  6. Texman

Texman Guest

Chris,

I, and most others who work in the small scales, will print a second copy of the kit on regular print paper. This allows you to roll items alot easier, and it does not show the edge lines (not as thick) as bad. For things like pitot tubes, I use the discarded tips of my sons insulin needles. For rigging of aircraft, I use a .03 mm clear nylon thread, colored with a sharpie marker.

Ray
  7. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I'd like to see someone build my Eagle 2 tiny, so I can design the launch pad small enough that it won't take up an entire tabletop.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

8. thewoodengraver

Skott K,
    I have downloaded your Eagle 2 (white) version. I will look it over and see what I can come up with. I like your design!
    I am not making any promises, and don't hold your breath, but if I can do it I will!
    I am not at all sure if I could match the scale in your diagram, but I will come as close as possible without imploding.

If you have any other files associated with this model, PM me and we can email.

Wish me luck!
  9. Chthulhu

Chthulhu Member

Thank you, Chris; I've added your photo to the page:

http://users.sdccu.net/chthulhu2/models/rabbit.html

Mike
  10. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Well, I had some time yesterday between chores and you guiys have put the bug in me with these little models:
    View attachment 6423
    The blue thing is a Tinpaper toy tank. The rainbow trout and the trojan rabbit are my ealier efforts. The tuna, the seaturtle and the smaller trout are sized for a paper diorama I'm planning, so they're not made to be as small as I may somday try! The smallest form (to the right of the trojan rabbit) is some kind of waterfowl, mergus albellus. I have trouble handling this one, even with tweezers!
    Anyway, thanks for putting up this challenge and forcing me to learn how to scale my printing!
    Chris

Attached Files:

11. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Chris, where did you get the fish patterns? I'd like to try a couple of those.

SJ
  12. thewoodengraver

For fish, try HERE, or HERE

Nice little collection of tinies Chris!!!
  13. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

14. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

A shoulder problem has sidelined me from any serious modeling for a month or two, but I can still cut paper! I did a small version of the Fiddler's Green Stuka a while back to get my paper modeling "Hands" back. Today I did a "Slightly Smaller Stuka";
    View attachment 7925
    This really is below my threshold. I couldn't see most of the parts and I dropped virtually every single part!:roll: :oops:

I had fun anyway, even if the model doesn't bear close scrutiny. Here it is on the Stuka shelf in front of the earlier "small" version!
    View attachment 7926
    I really like doing small paper models, but this one is really too small for my eyes. But I WILL do more teenies!
    Chris

Attached Files:

15. thewoodengraver

I'm going to stop showing you guys my secrets! LOL
    Chris...I don't know what to say, Incredible!, Stupendous!, Magnificent!
    Dropped every part? sounds real! Slightly smaller Stuka? That's the understatement of the year. Very proud to know you my friend!
    I hope your shoulder gets better soon!
  16. Clashster

Clashster Member

:-o 'bout all I can manage....
  17. Ziga

Ziga Member

I guess that this would be the right thread to ask the question. Some time ago I found a free 1:200 or 1:100 paper model of the Tiger I tank. I accidentally deleted it from my HDD and now I have no idea where to find it. It was without camouflage. Any ideas where is it? Your help is much appreciated.
  18. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, Ziga!

I don't know if this is the one you had, but here is a 1/144 Tiger I available for free download from the Sega page:
    http://sega.jp/pc/soft/advd2001/sp_pm4.html

Sure wish I could find out how to get the other models they show there! They have a Sherman M4A1 and M4A3, amongst some other fine looking AFVs:

http://sega.jp/pc/soft/advd2001/sp_pm2.html

If anyone knows where these models can be found, please let me know.

Cheers!
    Jim
  19. thewoodengraver

Try here, don't know if it is the one you are looking for but...nice!
  20. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I browsed the link for colorized versions of Yoshioka's tanks and found them here; unfortunately the links going to the purchase pages are in Japanese and I can't navigate them properly to place an order:
    http://www.shubunsha.net/html/paper/army/army2.html
    I actually got all the way to the ordering page, but I could not get the page translated so as to input the shipping and payment information.
    If anyone out there knows how to figure it out so I can order it, please let me know.
    Cheers!
    Jim