TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. RichBohlman

RichBohlman Railroad Card Modaler

My layout is in the modern early 1980's period. That was when the Milwaukee Road was taken over by the SOO Lines. :(

Looking for a Great Laker to use part of it in my harbor area.

[​IMG]

THANKS - Rich
  2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I find it amazing that one can build a model tiny and it still appears HUGE!!!
    Great job Scott! Nice to see the hull in one piece.

Rich, are you using cardmodels for your trains or a working model?

I have a layout in mind...tiny of course...which will be all cardmodels...and small enough to fit on a tabletop. I have all the elements...just have to scale them down.
  3. hpept

hpept Member

So why not sharing them? Do you want to keep the pleasure all for yourself? :grin::grin::grin:
    You can save me alot work in searching for interesting subjects...can you send some pictures or tell the subject of your railway?
    I'm trying to integrate plastic and paper models of building and structures and my aim is to make the difference unnoticeable.
    Up to now I've built a goods shed and a small line hut which look quite nice, but plastic buildings are still better due to the 3D surface detail.
  4. RichBohlman

RichBohlman Railroad Card Modaler

I'm doing as much of my backdrop and facilities in card models as possible.

[​IMG]

My rolling stock and power will be working HO Milwaukee Road equipment.

Here is a great site for information about small/micro layouts:

http://www.carendt.us/index.html
  5. thewoodengraver

hpept, The buildings were free downloads but I do not remember from where. There are a couple different sets...one of which is a seaside town, bait & tackle, seafood resteraunt etc, I can include a lighthouse and a couple of boats. The period, 1970's.

Another idea is the old west...got the locomotive and a couple buildings so far..

and finally, the future, with monorails and buildings completely scratchbuilt.

I do not really know which one will come together first but I will absolutely share any pics that I have because the entire layout will qualify for this challenge.
  6. spirtos

spirtos Member

Yamaha M1 in TWE's Tiny Challenge

...this one was waiting on my bench for some time now , so I decided to finish it... it is the Yamaha's Papercraft M1 , printed four times smaller , so I just printed a page for it...well the original kit has 18 pages and only 16(four times smaller) fit in one page...I did not print the wheels and rims , since they are scratchbuilt (papier-mache and cardstock)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the die-cast models are 1/24 scale
  7. thewoodengraver

Spirtos, I am REALLY impressed with your tiny Yamaha...WOW!!!
    I may have to re-think my signature!
  8. xyberz

xyberz Member

Question for all you "Tiny" builders as I'm also very interested in miniature models. Do you use a regular X-acto blade when cutting such intricately small pieces?
  9. thewoodengraver

Yes...and no!
    I use the x-acto #1 handle with the #11 blade(regular x-acto), the x-acto #2 handle with the #24 blade, tiny scissors, and an occasional "drink me" potion...lol
    hahahaha.
    For inside diameter cuts, the #1/#11 combination,
    for outside diameter cuts, tiny scissors,
    everything else, the #2/#24 combination.
  10. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I use the #11 blade almost exclusively, with a pair of scissors for the occassional cutting job...and tweezers to hold things down when trimming. I find it works best for me to cut as close to the line as I can and then trim any spots I wasn't close enough the first time using the #11 blade and holding the part with tweezers. As with any paper model build, patience and taking your time in cutting accurately works best for me. Oh, and make sure it's a fresh, VERY sharp blade.
    Cheers!
    Jim
  11. spirtos

spirtos Member

...thank you very much for your kind words thewoodengraver ... such comment coming from you encourages me to try similar projects in the future...
  12. thewoodengraver

Spirtos, You deserve it, nothing I ever made was put on the picture of the week. Besides, I am too intimidated to build the Yamaha just yet...even at ORIGIONAL size.
  13. ETaylor

ETaylor New Member

I've got a tiny FG Cub I built a while back. There might be someone who posted this before, but I will post some pics when i get them hosted. It has about an inch-and a half wingspan, and has all the details-landing gear bungees, etc. Ask Sakrison about it- he's seen it.
  14. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Gonk and Little Gonk were walking down the road...

I finally got my entry for the tiny challenge done. Too many projects, not enough time....

I printed the small one from Adobe selecting Multiple pages per sheet, and setting it at 9 pages per sheet, so whatever that works out to scalewise, it's a lot smaller than the original. The little guy measures an inch and a half tall. Full size it's just under 5 inches. Not the best builds I've ever done, but oh well. This was posted by Stev0 recently here http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4888&highlight=gonk. He also posted another droid - can't remember which at the moment.

Attached Files:

15. thewoodengraver

IT'S ALIVE!!!...oh GLORIOUS tiny thread!!!!
    Nice Gonk droid! I'm happy Father and Child were reunited!
    You did a great job on the build and the end product is quite fun...yes?

More tinies...more tinies...more tinies...(chant with me if you want)...more tinies...
  16. The Terminator

The Terminator New Member

This isn't part of the challenge as i have not shrunk it down from another model but i was testing how small i could go before having problems and i've found my limit......i mainly did this for a laugh.
    It's a 1/400 volvo 740 estate with basic interior, making it this small is almost impossible it just loses its shape and all folds have to be made with tweezers.......i bodybuild/powerlift and have quite large fingers!
    The coin it is on is a UK 1 pence piece.
    [​IMG]
  17. thewoodengraver

This is no laughing matter! You did an excellent job!!!
    Large fingers will not excuse inability...practice! You will find soon that you HAVE NOT yet reached your limit!
    Great Job!!!
  18. The Terminator

The Terminator New Member

I'm trying to develop new techniques to make a smaller and more detailed model at the mo, painting CA on all inner surfaces except folds to stiffen the panels/struts whilst still on the card to avoid adding too much thickness....those little door struts are very weak.

EDIT: Well i've built a 1/10,000 NIMITZ....i thought about making a few aircraft but i couldn't find any dust! .....hornets would be 1.7mm long.
    [​IMG]
  19. thewoodengraver

Gasp!...i'm impressed!
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Where did you find the 17 foot long ruler? ;)
    pretty sweet!