TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

<grin>...I very nearly printed a new sheet just for that spike when I did mine and you could probably put 10 of yours inside mine. I sort of got the 67lb stock bent to shape but not as well as I would have liked.

I'm a Parker fanatic. I've read everything he's written at least twice. I don't remember reading any Burke and I'm always looking for new mystery novels. Will have to give him a try. Thanks.

Cheers --- Larry
  2. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Forgot....yes, I've read a couple of Crais' novels and have more in the queue...which rivals my cardmodel queue :)

Cheers -- Larry
  3. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Forgot....yes, I've read a couple of Crais' novels and have more in the queue...which rivals my cardmodel queue :)

Cheers -- Larry
  4. july1772

july1772 Member

(I promise this is the last off-topic comment I'll make.)

Larry,
    You'll probably enjoy Burke's novels. His work is darker than that of Parker and Crais, and it's very well written. Besides winning Mystery fiction awards, he's been nominated for the Pulitzer Prize and other literary awards.

In case you haven't read it already, give Motherless Brooklyn a try (written by Jonathan Lethem).
  5. july1772

july1772 Member

(I promise this is the last off-topic comment I'll make.)

Larry,
    You'll probably enjoy Burke's novels. His work is darker than that of Parker and Crais, and it's very well written. Besides winning Mystery fiction awards, he's been nominated for the Pulitzer Prize and other literary awards.

In case you haven't read it already, give Motherless Brooklyn a try (written by Jonathan Lethem).
  6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

When you guys say spike, are you talking about forming a conical shape? I have a simple fool-proof method. Use a tool cylindrical shaped, an ice pic for instance, that is about half the finished diameter of the cone (the open end);
    starting at the straight edge of your cut-out part, roll the cone over the icepic, keeping the point of the cone always centered on the tool, until you have rolled the entire diameter. With a little practice you can twist the part over the tool with two fingers (thumb and forefinger) in one motion, thumb going down, forefinger going up.
  7. thewoodengraver

When you guys say spike, are you talking about forming a conical shape? I have a simple fool-proof method. Use a tool cylindrical shaped, an ice pic for instance, that is about half the finished diameter of the cone (the open end);
    starting at the straight edge of your cut-out part, roll the cone over the icepic, keeping the point of the cone always centered on the tool, until you have rolled the entire diameter. With a little practice you can twist the part over the tool with two fingers (thumb and forefinger) in one motion, thumb going down, forefinger going up.
  8. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

Ok,
    Well here are two incidental efforts on my part.
    Both of these were 1/33 models that I scaled down to 1/144 and 1/196. Due to an error on my part the Arado was scaled too much (it also should have been 1/144)!
    I then partly built them into major component parts and made RTV moulds and cast them in resin to go on some radio control ships I have.
    I have shown the Walrus Mk2 here.

Side view of paper fuselage master (note length 8cm)
    [​IMG]

The paper masters
    [​IMG]

The resin parts
    [​IMG]

Finished resin model
    [​IMG]
  9. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

Ok,
    Well here are two incidental efforts on my part.
    Both of these were 1/33 models that I scaled down to 1/144 and 1/196. Due to an error on my part the Arado was scaled too much (it also should have been 1/144)!
    I then partly built them into major component parts and made RTV moulds and cast them in resin to go on some radio control ships I have.
    I have shown the Walrus Mk2 here.

Side view of paper fuselage master (note length 8cm)
    [​IMG]

The paper masters
    [​IMG]

The resin parts
    [​IMG]

Finished resin model
    [​IMG]
  10. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

And here is the wrong sized (too small) Arado 196A at 1/196 scale:
    note the Australian 5 cent piece.
    (As a side note I do sell these resin 'kits' for A$15 each plus postage) any money goes to more RTV to make a new (correct) scale Arado at 1/144.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

And here is the wrong sized (too small) Arado 196A at 1/196 scale:
    note the Australian 5 cent piece.
    (As a side note I do sell these resin 'kits' for A$15 each plus postage) any money goes to more RTV to make a new (correct) scale Arado at 1/144.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Yes, sort of. I've had no problems forming cones until I got to this one. A good portion of my problem was paper that was too thick. But the nose of the Zoot rocket, even in the 50% size one I made, is about 1/8" diameter at the base and 6-8 times that length. I sort of tried the technique you're describing, but with a smaller tool. It sorta worked except that with the thick paper, physics got in the way as I ended up with too much paper in the small end of it

Given the size of july1772's rocket, that would be a tool the size of a human hair, I suspect :)

Cheers --- Larry
  13. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Yes, sort of. I've had no problems forming cones until I got to this one. A good portion of my problem was paper that was too thick. But the nose of the Zoot rocket, even in the 50% size one I made, is about 1/8" diameter at the base and 6-8 times that length. I sort of tried the technique you're describing, but with a smaller tool. It sorta worked except that with the thick paper, physics got in the way as I ended up with too much paper in the small end of it

Given the size of july1772's rocket, that would be a tool the size of a human hair, I suspect :)

Cheers --- Larry
  14. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Did you treat the paper master with anything before using it to create the RTV mould?

Cheers --- Larry
  15. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Did you treat the paper master with anything before using it to create the RTV mould?

Cheers --- Larry
  16. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

Larry,
    I coated them with a general wood varnish/laquer to stop the RTV from soaking into the paper.
  17. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

Larry,
    I coated them with a general wood varnish/laquer to stop the RTV from soaking into the paper.
  18. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

I thought you'd have to do something like that. Very interesting idea.
    Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers --- Larry
  19. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

I thought you'd have to do something like that. Very interesting idea.
    Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers --- Larry
  20. thewoodengraver