TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Alcides

Alcides Member

Nice fast build Larry !!!

Where do you found this model ?

Regards
    Alcides
  2. july1772

july1772 Member

Attached Files:

3. july1772

july1772 Member

4. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Good job on the P47 as a simple model I quite struggled with it at fullsize, getting the egg shape fuselage without internal formers is quite tricky and the wing fillets were a nightmare. Great job making it at small size :-D
  5. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Good job on the P47 as a simple model I quite struggled with it at fullsize, getting the egg shape fuselage without internal formers is quite tricky and the wing fillets were a nightmare. Great job making it at small size :-D
  6. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

7. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

8. july1772

july1772 Member

Thanks GT5500. To get the proper shape on the fuselage, I cut off the tabs on the engine piece and glued it to a few layers of thicker stock--thus producing an internal former. To help attach the wings, I used a toothpick as a wing spar. This also helped with the wing fillets, but I realized too late that the toothpick prevented me from adding any dihedral to the wings. Next time I'll know better.

You're right about the rockets, Larry, they are identical designs. Thanks for the link to the one you found. As for adding clear windows to the S-51, that's for more advanced modelers. Since I sometimes go months without building anything, I'm still working on my basic skills. If you take a look at the FG page for the S-55, you'll see that Dick Doll added clear windows to that model, and it looks great.

That said, keep up the good work Larry. Your builds don't look like they were made by a beginner.
  9. july1772

july1772 Member

Thanks GT5500. To get the proper shape on the fuselage, I cut off the tabs on the engine piece and glued it to a few layers of thicker stock--thus producing an internal former. To help attach the wings, I used a toothpick as a wing spar. This also helped with the wing fillets, but I realized too late that the toothpick prevented me from adding any dihedral to the wings. Next time I'll know better.

You're right about the rockets, Larry, they are identical designs. Thanks for the link to the one you found. As for adding clear windows to the S-51, that's for more advanced modelers. Since I sometimes go months without building anything, I'm still working on my basic skills. If you take a look at the FG page for the S-55, you'll see that Dick Doll added clear windows to that model, and it looks great.

That said, keep up the good work Larry. Your builds don't look like they were made by a beginner.
  10. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Far easier to cut out the fake windows and glaze them on the S-55. For the S-51 the entire nose has to be clear as well as some of the side windows. That's why I asked about the structure.

There are beginners and there are beginners, I suppose. I wouldn't even comment but I don't want any truly new modelers to think they need special genes to build models. I've been yanking knives through modeling materials for 45 years or so and quite familiar with model building. What's new to me is building models with pre-finished surfaces and cardstock as a modeling material. Fewer excuses I guess....just lots of mistakes :)

Cheers --- Larry
  11. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Far easier to cut out the fake windows and glaze them on the S-55. For the S-51 the entire nose has to be clear as well as some of the side windows. That's why I asked about the structure.

There are beginners and there are beginners, I suppose. I wouldn't even comment but I don't want any truly new modelers to think they need special genes to build models. I've been yanking knives through modeling materials for 45 years or so and quite familiar with model building. What's new to me is building models with pre-finished surfaces and cardstock as a modeling material. Fewer excuses I guess....just lots of mistakes :)

Cheers --- Larry
  12. july1772

july1772 Member

Larry, sorry I didn't respond about the S-51's nose structure. Your assumption was correct, it is the petal type.

One note to beginners: Don't get discouraged if your first attempts aren't satisfactory. As long as you keep trying, your skills will improve. The important thing is to have fun. My first completed models looked terrible, but I had so much fun making them that I didn't care. Eventually I noticed improvement with each successive model I built, and I quickly became addicted to this hobby.
  13. july1772

july1772 Member

Larry, sorry I didn't respond about the S-51's nose structure. Your assumption was correct, it is the petal type.

One note to beginners: Don't get discouraged if your first attempts aren't satisfactory. As long as you keep trying, your skills will improve. The important thing is to have fun. My first completed models looked terrible, but I had so much fun making them that I didn't care. Eventually I noticed improvement with each successive model I built, and I quickly became addicted to this hobby.
  14. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Good advice. I done a lot of different forms of modeling and what I find is that with each one comes the frustration of new materials and techniques. The biggest struggle I'm having with card models is that as the mistakes accumulate on a model, my interest wanes and I want to start over. Tough sell to perservere to complete a complex project that's full of mistakes.

Cheers --- Larry
  15. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Good advice. I done a lot of different forms of modeling and what I find is that with each one comes the frustration of new materials and techniques. The biggest struggle I'm having with card models is that as the mistakes accumulate on a model, my interest wanes and I want to start over. Tough sell to perservere to complete a complex project that's full of mistakes.

Cheers --- Larry
  16. gpr2d2

gpr2d2 New Member

2 Goliaths

Hi everybody,
    I present to you 2 mini tanks Goliaths, they are climbing a french 2 euro coin.

[​IMG]

I have modified and painted the black & white model of Masahiro TAKAMOTO.

The green is a model Sdkfz 302 with 2 electric engines produced by BOSH.
    The yellow Afrika Korps is a Sdfz 303 with 1 gas engine produced by ZUNDAPP.

Each have a remote box and an electric wire.

The models are 20mm long and 12mm wide. The scale is 1/72 ! the true tanks are 1.50m long and 0.85m wide !

Best regards from France

gpr2d2@free.fr
  17. gpr2d2

gpr2d2 New Member

2 Goliaths

Hi everybody,
    I present to you 2 mini tanks Goliaths, they are climbing a french 2 euro coin.

[​IMG]

I have modified and painted the black & white model of Masahiro TAKAMOTO.

The green is a model Sdkfz 302 with 2 electric engines produced by BOSH.
    The yellow Afrika Korps is a Sdfz 303 with 1 gas engine produced by ZUNDAPP.

Each have a remote box and an electric wire.

The models are 20mm long and 12mm wide. The scale is 1/72 ! the true tanks are 1.50m long and 0.85m wide !

Best regards from France

gpr2d2@free.fr
  18. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Ils sont superbe! C'est quoi la boite et fil?

Cheers --- Larry
  19. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Ils sont superbe! C'est quoi la boite et fil?

Cheers --- Larry
  20. gpr2d2

gpr2d2 New Member

Remote - Telecommande

Hi Bonjour Larry.

Les goliaths sont de petits chars allemands (2°GM), filoguides electriquement, ils avaient 60 / 85 Kg de TNT, et etaient utilises pour faire sauter un char, un ouvrage, une defense ... Le fil electrique faisait 400m.

Goliaths are tiny german tanks (WW2), remoted by electric wire. They have 60 / 85 Kg of TNT. They are used to destroy a tank, a blockhaus, a house... The electric wire was 400m long.

Le boitier est la telecommande (Marche/Arret, Droite/Gauche, Explosion).

The box is the remote (On/Off, Right/Left, Ignition).

Bons souvenirs de France
    Best regards from France

gpr2d2@free.fr