TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Barnacle beak!

The little guy on yhe right was built by my Wife Catherine, it was printed at 50% (I think). The little guy on the left was built by me. The parts fit on a business card.
  2. SteveM

SteveM Member

The larger Bob on the right is the intended size, so is actually 100%. Bob is designed to be printed on a 5x3.75" card so that he will be "in scale" with the large Pineapple House.

Nice work on the tiny one, very impressive!
  3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Thanx SteveM! I wasn't sure of his scale as I usually print everything smaller than intended. Now I know he will be in scale with the jumbo Pineapple!!!
    As for the little guy...Thanks! AND a big THANKS for giving us these little critters!!! Homespun Magixx ROCKS!!!
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I just love the many awesome builds ya'll have posted! Really excellent stuff!

I had been thinking about a project for a while now and figured I'd try it out to see it might work out. I have been admiring the various space launcher builds I've seen around the web and just had to try one myself. The one I figured I'd play around with is the Mercury Redstone designed by Eric te Groen on his Lansbergen site...I just love his designs and figured it was about time to try one out. The original can be found at
    www.lansbergen.net

I reduced the original 1/96 scale sheets to 1/144. I just had to play around with the lattice work on the escape rocket to try and model a slightly different way. The results are below...clearly not as nice as many builds shown here but it was fun to try something different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a little better view of the capsule and escape rocket thingie:

[​IMG]

As I said, it didn't come out as well as I had hoped, but I had fun playing around with it. Some day I'll have to build a stand for it too.
    Hope you enjoy seeing it.

Cheers,
    Jim
    (I really have to get back to the USS Constitution some day...:oops: )
  5. hpept

hpept Member

Great model Jim!!! Your escape tower structure came out better on your reduced model than in my standard size model :wink: . I had to to do the structure without cutting the lattice to make it look decent, because i couldn't manage to keep it straight, as the paper cut so thin was warping all the time.
    Fine job. :-D
  6. Texman

Texman Guest

Jim,

That's got me beat. How did you do the lattice tower? This looks like
    a technique I am going to have to try on some of the smaller frameworks.

VERY NICE JIM!

Ray
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Wow, Jim, that's just insane! And that's what I'd be if I tried something like that! Great job!

Rick
  8. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Rockets are really cool when they're small :) The lattice on the escape towar is amazing. How did you keep it stiff enough to support itself?

Cheers --- Larry
  9. july1772

july1772 Member

Terrific job, Jim. Very impressive work.
  10. Jim Krauzlis

You all are WAY too kind, I assure you! It seemed to me that many parts ended up cocked eyed after the glue dried...I did the capsule a few times before it came out okay, all my fault, not the designers.

For the lattice work I used the original model part and left the part on the sheet while I cut out the openings; I completely removed the diagonal parts and replaced them with glue-stiffened thread from the back side of the part. I prepainted the thread a bit too, which seemed to help strengthen the piece, and also used the same thread for the vertical and horizontal members, just glued it right on top of the card as a bit of reinforcement to the paper part. I suppose from the glue stiffening the thread and the glue used to attach the thread to the card all ended up giving the structure some rigidity, although I assure you it's a very delicate structure nonetheless! Frankly, I am surprised it held up to my clumsy handling as well as it did...only dropped it a half dozen times!

I scratch built the escape rocket nozzles using regular paper rolled into tight cones, and I'm certain it's not exactly right, but it seems to give the illusion of resembling the original if you squint real hard.:grin:

The biggest surprise is, after gluing the fins to the bottom, it stands relatively straight. :-o Purely coincidence, I assure you! I did something wrong on the main rocket nozzle, because the fins don't fit flush with the bottom disc of the rocket body, so there are a lot of flaws to this build. Still, it was lots of fun building, and I recommend it to anyone wanting a nice model of this historic space launcher.

Cheers!
    Jim
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

The rocket is nice Jim............. but............... Where is the launch tower?:grin:

Well nobody else was going to ask!

john

1/144 modelers are gluttons for punishment!:grin:

But I'm still amazed by them!

john
  12. barry

barry Active Member

Nice one Jim thought you were being a bit quiet !!!!! Did you coat the back of the bit with PVA before you started cutting the girders out.

barry
  13. Jim Krauzlis

@ John...Thanks! Well, a launch tower would be nice, would actually fill out the model nicely, but I'm not talented enough to design one for her...maybe I can find one online that fits the bill....any suggestions?

@Barry...Idle hands, mate, idle hands.:grin: Actually, yes, along with the glue soaked string I did brush a fine coat on the reverse side (the tread side of course had the PVA on it when it was glued in place). I have not taken a liking to CA glue, it just is too noxic for me to use in my small work area in any large quantities (I do use it occassionally, but not too so much), but I figure CA would have worked better, less flexible when dry. Anyway, I'm real glad you liked it, mate!

Cheers!
    Jim
  14. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

If true, you must have gotten one of those mistake-hiding filters for your camera. Yours works better than mine, though.

Sounds like genius that comes only from trying to create 1:600 railings on ships :)

Cheers --- Larry
  15. Jim Krauzlis

Larry wrote: "Sounds like genius that comes only from trying to create 1:600 railings on ships."

It's either madness or brilliance...."It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide." Captain Jack Sparrow, The Curse of the Black Pearl.:grin:
    Cheers!
    Jim
  16. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

It's been a while since I've had time to cut paper but last night I got some time in front of the cutting board. I wasn't in the mood to work on the airplane I'm working on so I printed this up at half size and had some fun.

Cheers --- Larry

Attached Files:

17. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

It's been a while since I've had time to cut paper but last night I got some time in front of the cutting board. I wasn't in the mood to work on the airplane I'm working on so I printed this up at half size and had some fun.

Cheers --- Larry
  18. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Nice job Larry I understand that you are fairly new to the hobby, so that makes it an even more impressive build :-D
  19. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Nice job Larry I understand that you are fairly new to the hobby, so that makes it an even more impressive build :-D
  20. Alcides

Alcides Member

Nice fast build Larry !!!

Where do you found this model ?

Regards
    Alcides