TWE's Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Shoot Ash, you should have walked backwards and gone back in time.............
    you would be four days younger, instead of older...........Man:grin:
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Al,
    Firstly - welcome to the forums! Looks like we have a new plane man amongst us :)

Secondly - nice builds and very well timed on your join :) Can we get a few closerups of the fokker for sure (and maybe some others if you would like)? :D
    Chris
  3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

OOPS!...well...in my mind there are plenty 'lil Penguins at the North Pole and the Bears are Bi-Polar.
  4. thewoodengraver

simpleflyer, Welcome to the forum! ...Music wire? I guess you mean from any string instrument?...Guitar strings, Piano wire?...Anywho, nice tinies, Thanx!
  5. Rev

Rev Member

My little F-16

You know, I found this size easier to build than the bigger version. It was easier to fold and glue than I thought it would be.

Attached Files:

6. thewoodengraver

Welcome Rev!!! And thanx for the tiny jet!!! Tiny is BEST!!!
  7. Rev

Rev Member

F-16 Fuselage

I actually did the whole thing in copier paper. I am thinking of making 7 of them, wiring them together in a classic flight demo pattern over a jet picture we have. My wife must okay that though.
    (She thinks I am silly because I like to build paper models.)

What part of the fuselage was hard, the air scoop area or the top side?
    Rev
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

My wife feels that way too :( but she always likes the finished product but rolls her eyes when I start a new one....
    Chris
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

My wife is glad I found a hobby besides drinking! 8v)
    But on the other hand she hates how much money I keep spending on it!

I now have more models than I could ever build in my lifetime yet I keep buying more!

Russell
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I like the collecting aspect too. Now on to the organizing task..... ugh.... Now I need a drink - uh oh! full circle! :D
    Chris
  11. hpept

hpept Member

Here goes my entry for the TWE tiny challenge. It's an F-104 Starfighter in the Aeronautica Militare Italiana markings. It's in 1:200 scale, while the original model was intended to be built at 1:72, so it was downsized by 36%. Took an hour to go together from print to photo. Everything went smooth during assembly, except the upper semi fuselage which was warped after glued. I had to cut it the inside and glue again to get it straightened. Funny build while waiting for dinner.

[​IMG]
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Wow, that looks great!
  13. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Awesome build, hpept!

What type of paper/card did you use?

Just curious what type of paper everyone has tried in building their little gems, so please feel free to add your comment on what you think is the best weight for your builds.

Cheers!
    Jim
  14. hpept

hpept Member

Jim, i used normal everyday copy paper, 75 gsm. This is good for little constructions, but it's a hell to keep away from warping badly when it just smells glue. I used UHU stick glue for all the planar pieces (wings and tails) but i had to use white glue to glue all the rest (fuselage and particulars like the spine on the back of the fuselage... i barely could see it 8))
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Hi Guys, A "small return" to card modeling. Fiddler's Green FW-109, F86 and a partially built SBD Dauntless. The FW has rudimentary wheel wells.

Attached Files:

16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

looks good! I like those fg models more everytime I see them :)
    Chris
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Fantastic job to both of you, cmdrted and hpept!

You guys do great work in the tiny realm!

I have yet to even decide what to build for this challenge!

It's hard to match skills such as you guys have!

Russell
  18. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Lots of little airplanes. Love the F-104 and its display stand. Interesting that it's been built completely with regular paper. The F-86 and Fw-190 are very nice as well. I really think that FG models are better when reduced and these look great. Congrats to both of you.

Cheers --- Larry
  19. thewoodengraver

Hpept, EXCELLENT my friend!!! I like that little "custom" stand too!.......cmdrted, Great job on those FG planes!!!
  20. Rev

Rev Member

Stand and glue

I really like that stand that hpept used, I am stealing the idea. Thanks. Glueing paper and not have it wrinkle. . . I use somewhat dried glue, only a little, with pressure and it seems to really work well.

I use Elmers, put a dab on card stock, then let it form a skin. (. . . this happens as I cut the little dinky pieces out.) then I take a toothpick and spread just a little on the edges, not over the whole area, and apply a little pressure. No wrinkling and a quick build every time.

I am working on an f-15 currently and plan to make a very small version of it when I learn how to build the big one. My son is just dying to get his hands on the f-15 only half built, so the small one will be the only one displayed.

Russ