Turntables

Trainiac77

Hi, I'd like to build a turntable from scratch to fit my layout needs, but haven't got a clue how to start. I know there are many manufactured turntables, but I need to make mine a different size to fit part of my engine facility.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Trainiac77

Andrew,

Thanks for the thread. When I get around to working on it I'll put some pix up! The Gauge is awesome.

Thanks,

Trainiac77

bassbuster

I would like to build one from scratch but just don't have time to do it. I rthink that I am going to buy the digtal indexed one from Walthers.

Trainiac77

I had looked at the Walthers and all though it looks great, I wanted a challenge. Still have a bit of building to do on my layout but wanted to get all the info together so when I ready I can jump on it.

Kanawha

What size engines do you need to turn? I'm searching for one large enough for 2-6-6-6's (about 130 scale feet) and the Walthers one looks pretty good. Though I'm nowhere near ready to install it.

Trainiac77

I'd like to be able to turn 4-8-8-4 without the engine over hanging the end of the table. I also have an B&O EM-1 that's about the same size. I like to keep my F3 a-b-b together, maybe not prototypical but I'm in it for the fun anyway!

Trainiac77

It is a brass model made by Akaine in 1961. When I got it about 10 years ago it was still in the unopened box, all the bags were still sealed. Quite the gift! But if it's in my collection it has to run, so run it I do, I'm never going to paint it, but will polish it up from time to time.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Also consider that the prototype did not necessarily turn everything they had on a turntable - a wye may be another option if you have room...

Andrew

Trainiac77

That's true, but turntables are much more interesting to look at! I do have room for a wye where the helix is going on my layout. I think I'll have to take that into consideration. Thanks for the tip.