Turntable/Roundhouse Question

Twiget

Jan 11, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
Hi all,:wave:
I have been lurking aroung for a few months and this is my first thread.
I am in the process of installing the Walthers Cornerston 3-Stall Roundhouse on my layout. But the track angle does not match up with my Walthers 90' Turntable. If I set the roundhouse so the center stall track is aligned with the bridge track then the stall tracks on eather side are slightly out of alignment when I swing the bridge to match up with them. The Walthers catalog said that these were designed to work togeather. Is there a fix or do I just need to live with it.
Thanks
Tom

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
Welcome, Tom!

What about adjusting the distance of the roundhouse to the turntable? It seems to me that this somehow must be able to work since the roundhouse is simply constructed around radials from a common center point. If the center point is also the center point of the turntable, then it should align, no? What am I missing? :confused:

I'm interested in how the installation of your 90' turntable goes. Is this one of the fancy $300 ones? I just got one ($200 on ebay), and am looking forward to getting it installed once the rest of the track is in.

rfmicro

Sep 24, 2006
Turntable/Roundhouse Alignment

If my memory serves me correctly, both should be centered aound 10 degree radials from the turntable. It should only be a matter of adjusting the distance of the roundhouse from the turntable to have them both align correctly.

Regards,
Trent

Twiget

Jan 11, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
Santa Fe Jack, rfmicro,

You guys are correct. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Too much algebra, not enough geometry in school I guess.:eek:ops:
I had to get EZDAY’s alien building movers to re-locate a car shop. But with there help and the assistance of my crew of LPBs it was a done deal. Just another day on the Alternate Universe Railroad. The correct distance appears to be 5 ¼“ from the front of the roundhouse to the inside edge of the turntable pit. Thanks so much for the help. You guys are part of the reason this forum is the best. And Jack the turntable is one of the $40.00 Walthers kits. It works pretty good especially since I added some weight to the center of the bridge. Ill post some pictures when I get the roundhouse installed.
Thanks Again
Tom

Twiget

Jan 11, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
Miles,
When I first mounted it in the layout and powered it up it popped and snapped and would not run smoothly. But I noticed that when I had a locomotive on it would run much better. So I researched some of the turntable threads in the archives and found a reference to adding weight to the center of the bridge to put more weight on the center bearing. I added a couple of car weights to the bridge and it runs a lot better. I also went back and sanded the ridges off of the plastic wheels that ride on the rail around the pit.

Aloha
Tom

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,
You lucked out...My turntable had a slight warp in the pit, so getting it to run smootlhly was a real pain. After much work with a hot air blower I managed to get the bridge to ride all the way around without problems. Once this was done every thing worked OK.

nicknero

Aug 19, 2005
the walthers 130' turntable is great managed to get my hands on it the weight is good and everything just really hard to get

hogger

Nov 12, 2006
turntable centring

Hi gents,
I have a copy of Marty McQuirk's Locomotive Servicing Terminals.
In this book, he placed the roundhouse in the spot he wanted. Then, he laid some track in each stall. He then drew a line down the center of each track. The place at which the lines all cross is the centre of the turntable.