Turnouts and Crossovers

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I have two "situations" on the layout I am building where I have four turnouts and a 19 degree crossover all together. I thought as I was getting ready to put them together that I would need to use a short piece of track between the turnouts and the crossover, but as I see it now, by snipping off just the very end of one of the ties on each turnout the whole thing assembles quite nicely.
Question: Am I not seeing a problem down the line when I get ready to start operating? Yes, I am aware of the need to insulate the crossover from the turnouts!!

Bob

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Bob,
I guess it's not necessary, but I always use short lengths of track between turnouts, & between turnouts & crossings.
Also, if you're using one of the comercially available crossongs from Atlas or Peco, you don't need to gap the rails between crossings & turnouts. (if these are handlaid crossings, that's different) You only need to gap the rails between turnouts that are facing each other frog to frog.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Bob,
If you run into trouble in the wiring, let me know, and I will do what I can to help. It would be better if I could see your trackplan.

cheers friend.
shamus
waver.gif

http://www.badger-creek.co.uk

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Many thanks to each of you for your input. I am using Atlas track so the infor on insulating may have saved me some heartburn.

Shamus. I'm still doing the Toledo and Southern Michigan layout. The easiest of the two places I am talking about to see is on the left about mid way up or down the plan on the mainlines, right where the arrow points at "Chelsea."

Thanks again.

Bob