Turnout Problems

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Dewey, Doesn't sound like glueing the track down caused it. I suspect that the problem is in the rail joiners. Check them at the point end and the frog end of the turnouts. If prior to glueing the track down you took the turnouts up and put them back down several times the joiners may have become loose and don't make good contact anymore. Consider soldering the joints on the outside of the rails. Hope this helped:)

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Hey Duey, Check the Atlas forum site, Their are a lot of people there with the same problem, and it seems that Atlas isn't doing much about it. They do have a few solutions to the problem. I ordered 4 #4 turnouts before I read about the problem, Out of four one was bad so I sent all of them back. I have used Atlas track and turnouts for a long time, but since it dosn't seem like they are doing any thing to rectify the problem I have switched to Walthers. The problem usually happens after the track is mounted and ballest, for me thats way to late!!:eek:

Hi Duey,
Some of these switches are reported to have high frogs. I suspicion that this could cause some of the apparent loss of continuity if a non-pickup wheel resting on the (insulated) frog could lift the pickup wheel off the track.
Of course, this wouldn't apply if you have actually measured a loss of voltage or continuity on the track.
Just a thought,
:D :D

PROBLEM SOLVED

Thanx to all for the Many good ideas, Marty hit the nail on the head, I soldered a thin wire from the frog rail to the rail that had lost power, and all is well. Apparently the crimped rivet where the frog swivels, had a poor or dirty connection. The solder solution was much easier than tearing up the turnout. Thank you, Thank you. I love this forum.... AT&SF Duey :)