turnout motors for Walthers/Shinohara switch

jbraun

Jun 5, 2009
I recently bought a Walthers HO Scale Code-83 Nickel Silver "DCC Friendly" - #6 Double Crossover. I use mostly Atlas #6 Custom-Line turnouts for everything else, and know what switch-machines to use for them. However, with the Walthers, I'm pretty new at. I know about the "Tortoise" machines, but they seem a bit pricey. I just need a basic switch machine that will do the job. So I'm looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi...Welcome to the forum....:wave:

I use the solenoid type of switch machine on all my turnouts. Some folks don't like them 'cause they're kind of noisy when thrown, but the noise tells me they've changed route. :mrgreen:

You'll want to wire them all together so all the points are thrown at the same time, to avoid running into a turnout set the wrong way....

Hope this helps....

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
About any twin coil switch machine will work EXCEPT Atlas or Peco. I think Rix is still making twin coil switch machines, and possibly NJ International. There are also usually older, out of production models on eBay. If the coils have not been burnt, it should work fine.

A capacitive discharge (CD) unit is recommended to power solenoid machines - especially non-Atlas machines, and especially if driving more than one at the same time. The CD unit prevents burning the coils by delivering a jolt of current and then shutting it off rapidly. You can buy a CD unit or make your own - they are very easy and cheap to make.