Turnout assistance needed??!!

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
So I am laying down a bit of track, just a temporary layout until after surgery, et al.
I am having a problem with an Atlas Custom line #4 LH turnout. When any of my rolling stock or 6 of my 8 locos are traveling through in the trailing point direction (never in the facing point), on the through route rather than the diverging line I derail. The derail occurs past the points, very close to the joiners for the next turnout.
I have already checked that it is in guage, and all of my wheelsets are as well. I have run a finger over the area and it is smooth to the touch. The turnout is mounted flat, there are no bumps, kinks or ridges.
As best as I can see, when the wheelsets are traveling over the area the flange is going over the stock rail. I can't see if there is anything hitting the flange while watching the wheelset travel over, causing it to rise up. I don't see anything that would cause the flange to rise with nothing on the track either. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

N

nachoman

Perhaps a little bit of plastic flash where a tie meets the rail?

Kevin

Dave1905

May 27, 2007
Any vertical kinks in the rail?

Are the points in gauge or tight gauge where they might be forcing the trucks up?

Are the points loose and let the trailing axe drop in?

Is anything hitting the "switch machine"?

Really crude approach. Swap the switch out with another similar switch. If the derailment occurs at the same place the alignment of the tracks (vertical or horizontal) is involved. If the derailments go away at the original location and begin where the switch was relocated, its the switch. If they derail at both locations now, I never made this suggestion. If the problem goes away, highball!

Dave H.

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
I found the problem. The area on the stock rail that is notched so the points can sit flush was causing the problem. It felt smooth to the touch but it was still catching my wheel flanges. A quick swipe or 10 with a needle file and now even my worst wheelsets flow smoothly through it.
As an aside, it is a pain to file that area after the turnout has been secured to the layout, I will definately be checking them all before they get mounted. It would be wise for anyone else to do so as well.

Live and learn,
Matt

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Another thing that is a "must do" to get reliable operation from any Atlas turnout is to use some .010" styrene glued to the guard rails to narrow the distance from the guard rail to the stock rail on the turnout. Atlas makes their guard rail spacing too wide from the stock rail for the guard rail to function correctly.