Turn-Of-The-Century Scene On The K&I

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I was playing around with the digital camera today, & thought I'd shoot some steam-era eqipment that I have laying around...(remember those cheezy Bachman Old-Timers?)
Anyway, I put this little mixed train together, & posed it on a temporary diorama.
I thought the "sepia" effect really dated this scene nicely.

Attachments

• mvc-019f.jpg
    mvc-019f.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 199

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
BDC,
You're absolutly right...That little 4-4-0 hasn't made a peep for quite some time!
Tyson,
I think a horse & buggy would've been even better!

You know, I guess I should've mentioned this...I said this was turn-of-the-century K&I, but it was actually the K&I's predecessor, the S&U...(Scenicked & Undecorated) :D :D

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Really great scene. Does the heart of this "period" modeler good.

It wouldn't have been impossible to see this scene at the turn of the century, but it would really be more typical of the 1860's to 1880's time frame.

By the time the Model T was around, steam locos were downright "modern" looking, and there would have been vestibules on the passenger car.

Bill

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Bill, The mid 1800's has a charm all of it's own what with timber built buildings and all. I have several "MDC" 36 footers and a couple of locos that I love. BTW, I bought a Preiser pack of Victorian figures (unpainted) that look simply great with my old-time stuff. The ladies in crinoline dresses on the vestibule of my "Overland" looks super. I'ts finnicky painting them but well worth while.

Do you have any pics of your stuff you can post?

Errol

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
Visit site
Kettlestack:

Don't have any pix, but also no excuse. I bought a good digital camera for a trip to Oregon, Washington, and Brit Columbia, we were planning last September. 9-11 sorta put the kibosh on the trip (now tentatively rescheduled for May-June) and I'm so lazy (or if I'm kinder to myself, "so busy") I've never sat down and really learned how to use the camera. (An Olympus C-700.)

Right now I have a modeling project going --- kit bashing a series of 5 box cars. These started life as IHC 30' MOW box car kits. Being shorter, they are more appropriate for my 1875-85 era than the excellent (but more like 1895-1905) MDC box cars. I stripped off their paint, modified a few features, and am RTV-molding new doors for them. I think they will turn out well. When I finish them, I'll haul out the camera and try to get some decent shots of them, and will post one here.

But don't hold your breath. I work MUCH slower than Shamus.

Bill

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Bill,

I had always considered the IHC old time cars to be a good starting point for kitbashing, I just never got around to buying one just to try my hand at it.
Me being British, I wouldn't know about era's that the MDC or any other old cars belong to. I'm just charmed with the stuff. Heh heh heh, maybe I'm like the movie industry, it's the effect that matters to me not the accuracy! ... :D :D

Errol

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
Visit site
Errol,

You're entirely right. It's the effect. And it's one's own layout, so who can say what's "correct." There actually were longer box cars back in the 1880's --- usually "buggy" or "furniture" cars. Some, I believe, as long as 40 feet. The buggy cars often had wider doors to allow the buggies and wagons to be loaded more easily.

I once did a fairly easy bash on one MDC box car simply by chopping a section out of the center. I glued the doors in place to cover what was left of the door holes. It turned out well.

The IHC MOW box cars are pretty decent. I think their tooling guy got a little heavy handed, and some of the features --- like the board along the top of the sides, and perhaps the roof overhangs --- are a little large, but like you say, it's the effect, and they are certainly easy to bash. One thing I like about these cars is that they have heavy, cast-metal floors which really gives them some nice heft. They are far superior kits to the IHC "old time" box cars which are all plastic, and rather poorly made. And they are available either RTR or (cheaper) as kits --- and if one is going to bash them anyway, no point in paying for assembly only to have to take it apart again.

Off the subject of model railroads: Since you are a Brit, can you tell me what has become of Daljit Dalliwall? (I know that probably IS NOT how you spell her name!) The idiots at my local station have stopped running telecasts of the the British ITN daily news. Still get BBC news on another channel, but we REALLY miss Daljit!

Bill Stone

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
Visit site
Errol,
Well I finally finished the box cars.
Took some fotos with my Olympus, but now I'm having trouble getting the pix into my computer. Since I last used the camera my old computer crashed and I had to replace it. Loaded the Olympus software onto the new one, but it cannot find the drivers for the camera for some reason. Olympus tech help just confused me further. I guess I'll wait until we get home from an upcoming two-week trip to Victoria, BC, and get a computer guru over here to fix things.
Bill

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Charlie, This is not intended to be in competition with your pho, (I'couldn't possibly get the effect you did when you used your 10" x 8" glass plate camera :) )

It's for Bill's benefit to show there are others who still have the old time stuff and for those who are wondering about the IHC locos.

Old #751 is pulling into Clayton City and slows as it passes the suburban yard. You can't see the passengers on the overland combine as they are all out of their seats gathering up their belongings.

This IHC chuffer is my pride and joy, runs smoother than a baby's bottom and slow as I want it. No "rock-n-roll" with this little beauty as it traverses the sub-division :) .

Errol

Attachments

• pic00002 sepia.jpg
    pic00002 sepia.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 95

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
Visit site
Yup, Errol, your IHC 4-4-0 and (MDC?) combine look beautiful. Thanks for that.

I've 5 or 6 IHC (and the almost identical old AHC) 4-4-0's in varying degrees of wear, sitting in a box waiting for bashing. Also have 6 or 7 Mantua Generals that are in various stages of rebuilding/repowering/remodeling/bashing.

I'm looking forward to the new Scratchin' and Bashin' forum here. It's liable to become one of my favorites, and imagine (presuming I get my camera/PC interface working) that I'll post a few pix on there.

Bill S