Turin Blacksmith Shop

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
This is a 1:48 scale model of my grandfathers blacksmith shop. It will be a s'prize gift to my father. All that's left to do is the doors. And add a little more jumk to the interior. Real shots soon, meanwhile, here are some scans.

Attachments

• frontscan-small.jpg
    frontscan-small.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 183
P

philip

Jon Didn't you post the original picture of that building in another thread? Can't find it. Or am I dreaming? Its lookin good!

philip:)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Jon,
Excellent workmanship my friend, you Dad sure will be pleased with that.
Now then, when you feel upto it, make it again in 1-48 for me, save me making it. LOL

Shamus

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Thanks for the kudos, folks :)

Chris, the scanned images are the front, then one side, then the back, in that order.

Phillip, I don't think I posted it elsewhere. If I did, I'm getting forgetful!

Steve, yes, I will put it on a sceniced base. I was thinking about using 2" foam, then making the sides into blasted rock, leaving some flat spots to glue a photo of the original shop and/or grandpa.

Shamus, I'm sorry, dear friend, but you will probably have to wait until the next major surgery before I can dedicate that much time to another model :eek:

This was a good project to work on while wifey was recovering, as I setup a card table by the bed and worked by her side. Other modeling plans suffered, because I couldn't go outside and work on them, and this one was very time consuming. I do think Dad will be delighted. He always talks about that old shop. I think most of his memories of his father were there. The shop was near their home and he spent a lot of time there as a child. More pics:

Front
front3-4.jpg

front3-4a.jpg

Back
back3-4.jpg

back3-4a.jpg

Inside shots
interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

interior3.jpg

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Thanks everyone, for your kind words!

Robin, it's styrene Evergreen "corrugated steel siding", I think with .040 spacing for this "O" scale model. There is a much finer one available suitable for HO and maybe even N. I can get the part number if you like. Al I did to it was glue on some thin styrene rectangles for patches, make some 1/8" x 8 scale feet (2") thin styrene "caps" for the peak, spray it with silver auto touch up paint, and weather it. The usual dry brushing several rusty colors, dull coat, black wash. This time I used ink/alcohol wash, which I think is best on wood, but I think black paint/soap/water is better on plastic, and I might hit it again with that mix. But I did leave out the ink/alcohol mix, and the next day half the LPBs had little black lips, so I "recycled" them on the spot.

All the interior is bits and scraps. The anvil and tools are my usual little brass work, and the forge is the nose off some overgrown diesel body from the scrap box. Interior "wood" is scanned/recolored/printed exterior wood. The exterior siding and window frames are home cut stripwood, stained, cut to 8 ft. and glued to thin corregated cardboard.

To do: includes doors, some interior details and maybe a farm impliment and or a blacksmith. Maybe a small desk for paper work. Whatever I can do by Oct 21, Dad's B-day :)