Tunnels

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I'm fine with what to do outside the tunnel entrance, but what do I do inside the tunnel entrance? What have others done for realism? How far have you ballasted up the tunnel? Do you put an arch (matching the portal) inside the tunnel? Maybe paint it black or something? Line it with brick paper et al? How far down the tunnel do you go? It would probably be fine if my hills were completely sealed at the back, however too much light is coming OUT of the tunnel and you can see all the guts and insides of my mountain! What have others done in this situation?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Woodie,
I make portals on my tunnels and also make sure I make wood work inside the tunnel as far as I can reach. Also, No light can be seen inside anywhere.
Here's two photo's showing the front and inside.

Shamus

olym133a.jpg

olym106a.jpg

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi woodie!
You only need to model what canbe seen. If you have light coming through your tunnel, you could rig some kind of view block up with wood, or foam. Basically, a little box that the train travels tthrough. If you paint this black on the inside, there's no detail visible, just a black hole.
Another thing you could try, if your tunnel is behind the facia, (facing board) is to provide an access hole , in case of derailments, & just model the inside of the tunnel with brick, stone, blasted rock, etc... This gives viewers a little "subterrainian" view of your layout, & allows you easy access to hidden track.

JeffGerow

Feb 13, 2001
Winthrop, MA, USA
Visit site
I use a product called "Rosco Cinefoil" or known as "black wrap" -- it's a heavy black anodized aluminum foil that is used by TV/film lighting people to kill light leaks around lamps and to block and shape light. It's heavier than regular aluminum foil and holds it's shape better. Slightly crumpled, it makes very good tunnel interiors.
Cinefoil (in "Matte Black" #100213) can be purchased from professional lighting suppliers, anyone who carries Rosco products. Locally (as in most major cities) there is a Barbizon outlet which carries it. Otherwise contact Rosco Laboratories, 36 Bush Ave, Port Chester, NY 10573 (914)937-1300 to find out where you can buy it locally.

tunnel interior

what a great idea using painted tin foil....i have just completed the track building and wiring portion of my layout and the next step is to do some covering of the tunnel section of track and some backdrop work.....i am building in the attic loft so it has a slope ceiling that comes down in contact with the layout table surface....i am hopeful that that angle will allow some unique opportunities in the placement of tunnel and backdrop to play into dramatic effects......however access to the tunnel will be more of a challange......any ideas on backdrop to mountain/hillside arrangements from some of you brass out there would be appreciated....thanks, BywaterRailroad

Hi Woodie:

As you can see in this picture, You can see the guts! This winters project was to fix it. But with us moving next June. I don't know if I want to spend the time or money into it. Woodland Senic has a video out that touches on this topic. However, I think ever one here has many great ideas!

Andy

Attachments

• snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 261
tunnel insides

N GAUGER,

I JUST TONIGHT TRIED THE ALUMINUM FOIL PAINTED BLACK FOR THE TUNNEL INSIDE.....HAD TO POST THAT IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM......IT HAS GIVEN DEPTH TO THE INSIDE.....LOOKS AWSOME WHEN THAT CAMELBACK STEMER COMES INTO VIEW WITH HEAD LIGHT BREAKING IN THE DARKNES....THANKS FOR POSTING THAT TIP.......:D

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Tunnel Interiors.

Hello Woodie!

The painted foil is one of the fastest ways to do it. Go as far as you can see, as people always take a good gawk inside the tunnel, plus, they tend to like seeing the effect of the light from an approaching train.

In an article years ago, I remember someone going to the length of making a sleve of plaster, gouging out the rock work, then painting it.

Many tunnels have condensation or running water down the sides. I recommend starting with flat paint, then yielding to a gloss to simulate the moisture.

On a layout years ago, I took the easy way for a concrete tunnel lining. SOUP CANS. Choosing the right size is everything. Cut and bend to shape, then paint. You can easily angle them for curves, and duck tape them into place, then cover with terrain.

I wrote an article about tunnels here that was lost in a server change. In it, I staunchly advised leaving the interior where out of sight, open for easy access for cleaning and derailments. Don't make anything out of reach.

If you have a cat, watch out. They love these things!:D

George.