tunnel..

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
Hi all,
Just wondering - on average what is the best technique to build a HO scale mountain complete with tunnel? Styrofoam board works good (as I have learnt) but can be over costly.
Rgd's
NCMRailroad.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
There are quite a few ways to do it. One that many people (myself included) use is the cardboard basket-weave method:
View attachment 32867
After shaping, cover with plaster-cloth or strips of newspaper or papertowels dipped in "soupy" plaster. The tunnel interior can be made out of what ever is handy: cardboard, styrofoam, etc painted black.
I hope that helps

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 331

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Pete
Great idea!...I bet the plastic version would work pretty good as well with a little extra support. By the way...the rest of that thread is well worth reading:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: . That is some great modeling there! I need to go back through the threads from a while back...no telling what other gems are out there!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Great idea!...I bet the plastic version would work pretty good as well with a little extra support.
The thing which sold me on the aluminum ( I never got to the plastic) was, after it was set in place, I could still make minor adjustments, to shape the terrain, before plaster was applied.

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
Sorry I haven't replied to your "replies" on this perticular thread. Alothough I would have liked to have included a tunnel on my layout (I had even went as far as ruff designing one) I opted out.
Thanks again for your views and replies to this thread!
NCMR