Tunnel portals?

Tone

Feb 12, 2007
Stuttgart, Germany
Hi,
Our cofee table layout has progressed to a stage where we need to start making scenery.
I figured a wise place to start would be the tunnel portals...
Are there any NMRA or otherwise regulations that should be followed?
"Just make'em big enough" ?
Could someone measure a commecial tunnel portal for steam/diesel loks so I would have something to go on, please?
Threre will be 3 single track portals and 2 double track portals...
I think we may have gone overboard with the tunnels....
This is our first attempt at model railroading so any advice is welcome. :rolleyes:

btw. "we" means me and my wife...

I attach a pic from the mock up of most of the scenery elements, what is missing is the Wineyard/mountain on the right that will enclose the tracks.

Attachments

• layout03.jpg
    layout03.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 48

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Go to NMRA's site and check out the Standards and Recommendations section. tunnel portals are based on the Standard Loading Gauge, and IIRC, there is a diagram you can access that shows how the measurements are derived.

Prototypically, tunnels are dug no larger than they have to be to keep costs down.

Tone

Feb 12, 2007
Stuttgart, Germany
Thanks

I'll have to dig deeper on the NMRA site then.
I know the layout isn't much in the area of "prototype" but the main idea behind it was to create a "living furniture" for the den. It's going to enclosed in glass (with access doors on at least 2 sides) to protect it from the pets and occasional spills that will happen on a table...

Thanks again.