Tunnel / Mountain question?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by trainsteve2435, Oct 25, 2006.

1. trainsteve2435

trainsteve2435 Member

Hello everyone, i need to know the easiest, most in expensive way to for or create a tunnel liner without useing the Woodland Scenics molda? I need to create a mountain and tunnel scene on one end of my layout and im planning on useing 1/8" masonite board for the profile board. Anyone with any experience, or suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!:thumb:
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Crumpled tinfoil painted black. Use a cheap spray paint, like matte black rust primer.

Andrew
  3. wickman

wickman Member

I would think any material that would take the black paint would do the job . My tunnels are more of a mined out area with out walls , but I will have to do something at the openings . Thanks for reminding me I'll put it on my list.sign1
  4. kchronister

kchronister Member

Light cardboard, perhaps? (I've heard it called posterboard or 'oaktag' depending on where you live). Cheap, flexible, takes paint easily...
  5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

I'm making my tunnel interiors out of white styrofoam. I bent a copper wire into a tunel shape and placed it inot my soldering gun to make a hot wire cutter. I follow a radius template for the curve radius I want. After I cut out the main section, I rough it up a little with a file and paint. I previously posted a pic on this thread
    http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=15014
    Doc