Tuning the new Atlas-Shay

Good morning.

In the next weeks, I'll redesign my new Atlas-Shay.

I like the old style wood-burner much more then the modern oil-burner.
Here are some ideas :

- Set the couplers closer to the frame
- New ballon stack
- Conversion to woodburner
- New open woodpanel cab
- Detailing
- Weathering

The first to steps are almost done.

15atlas1.jpg

15atlas2.jpg

The stack is homemade on my lathe out of brass.

After removing the couplers, I've used a knife to cut of the rear part at the screw-hole. I've drilled the screw-holes in the frame to the diameter of the small pin on top of the coupler-box and glued this to the frame. The result can be seen on the pictures above.

But there is one problem... to remove the trucks from the frame, you have to remove the couplers. I've seen this after converion and was not so happy about this :-( But the Shay looks quite better than before.

Next step will be the new cab and tender.

hswn

Keep us posted with details please. I'm planning simular revisions to bring mine closer to one of the Springfield Railway shay's. Springfield Railway was a local logging line, which ended operation in 1920. Is the stock stack glued in? what will be the best means of removing it?
I also want to dew a model of a 2-4-4T Porter they had, it had a 16 passenger coach as part of the cab.
Brady

Hello,

I'm very sorry tell you, that I'll have no time to finish this project the next weeks.
I'm working on a layout for our local modellrailroad club. We'll have a show at the end of the year and I've to build a railwaystation in H0-scale with over 16feet long.

For some pictures please look at the H0-Board.

Gerd

Hi Chris,

are the "903 couplers" from kadee?
I like your conversion very well. Please post more pics of your work.

Gerd

Sorry. It was very late last night ;-)

The following things are done :

- conversion to woodburner with new stack
- I've added a second bar under the endbeam and painted them red
- conversion to open cab, painted cab inside and red windows
- windows with glas
- Waterpipe
- Shay-Crew on board (2 Engineers and a watchman with umbrella)
- Lettered for the WSLCo #6

Still missing are
- The 903 couplers. (One of my friend will come to Denver next week and anounced 3 visits to CabooseHobbies. One to look, one to buy, and a third one to buy all things, he wouldn't buy on the second trip ;-))
- Weathering
- Ropes, Chains, Tools, Boxes and so on...

Here they are

15Shay_3.jpg

15Shay_4.jpg

15Shay_5.jpg