Tugboat model

spitfire

Here's my latest project - a tugboat for the Keating Channel area of my layout. This is a resin kit from Artitec, and although it has beautiful detailing and crisp casting of the parts it was a royal pain to separate some of the parts from the resin backing they came on. Basically, everthing except the hull, was cast as little raised bits on a sheet of resin, which had to be sanded down from the back to release the pieces. Not fun, and not accurate either, as sanding by hand causes some areas to be thicker than others.

However, I am happy now that it's finished, and I love all the little fittings, turnbuckles and wheels that came with the kit. I photoshopped a little water into the photo, but the rest is unaltered.

Val

Attachments

• tug2.jpg
    tug2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 230

spitfire

I painted it Gary. It was that yellowish resin colour. First I hit it with a coat of grey primer, then the other colours. The white took 3 coats to get an even coverage.

Val

TrainClown

That's a tug on me heart ;) Don't go gettin' bit by the boat buildin' bug, now. Trains is a crewel enough master. He he heee!

Nice job though. :D

TrainClown

spitfire

Thanks everyone! :wave:

Brakie, that is Photoshop water. I certainly hope when I do my model water it looks that good.

Robin, I have named her "Annie", as in Tugboat Annie. Most of the real work boats around here have pretty boring names, like the Fred Scanlon etc. They seem to be named after city hall beaurocrats or industrial leaders, but I decided Annie suited me better. I am going to print some decals with the name, but I'm waiting until I have a few more decals to do first.

Val

belg

Val I guess Ralph REALLY like your tug,I think it looks great as well and was hoping you took a shot of the resin pieces as they came to you as this does sound like slow tedious way to have to work. Thanks Pat

spitfire

Pat, unfortunately I have no progress shots of the project. I have to start doing that. All I can show you is the mast, which I didn't use. Here it is.

Val

Attachments

• resin1.jpg
    resin1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 104
  • resin2.jpg
    resin2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 104

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
belg said:
Val I guess Ralph REALLY like your tug,

:D I DID really really like it! For those who come later Pat is referring to my thrice duplicated post that I have since reduced to one. :eek:ops:
Ralph

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
:sleeping: :sleeping: :eek: OK! I completely missed this one! :eek:ops:

Annie is a good name, and no orphan that! Very nicely done! :thumb: :thumb:
Now you'll have to find her a good berth in a safe harbor, with all the ammenities
An old, but not unrepairable pier, with some solid pilings to rub against, and some "stuff" here and there to make the place look "lived in" :D :D