Tuesday, Do You Operate?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

I finished weathering the track on the Hillside Extension last night.

Do you run or participate in operating sessions anywhere, and where?

I currently do not participate in operating sessions. My layout is not far enough a long to have any. Also I have not found any clubs near-by. The closet one is a few miles away and is fun as a church fellowship. I have visited a few times during their open houses and I would like to get involved. The problem I have right now is too many conflicts with football practices and other kids things on the nights they meet.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
One of the members of our club has a beautiful layout that occupies roughly a 35'x40' L shaped attic. His Highland industrial park switcher can run you an easy two hours delivering/picking up 10 cars into all of its industries. Absolutely grueling...I love it...sadly, I only get to do it about once a year. A lap takes over an hour and every one of his 700+ cars has a card order and destination, just bring your throttle and take one out---no room for jaw jackers:thumb:

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Wow, that sounds great shaygetz! I'm on a "operating commitee" at my local club, and get a little more towards waybill operation every week. I hope one day to see it in action!

I use my "memory" waybills on my layout, as I only have 10 spots on my little layout to drop off/pickup cars, It's so easy you don't need a waybill...yet! ;)

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Unfortunately, our club has too many "watch the trains go around" types. The layout is set up to use DCC for operating sessions but most members are afraid of DCC. We even had one member quit because he "felt forced to convert his loco's to DCC", even though we left one track of the three mains on DC. I wish we could get some younger members who would be interested in operations.

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
The club I belong to, the Scale Model Engineers, have one and sometimes two operating sessions each month. It is an N scale club, but we are still considering switching over to HO scale at present (It seems there is a time in life when your eyes demand the change to something you can see...).

Bob

Attachments

• s file 2 129 (Small).jpg
    s file 2 129 (Small).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 36
C

Catt

No i don't at the present.Most of the opps sessions around are way to much like real work with damn little enjoyment involved.I may do it by myself once the big layout is up and functioning.

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
I participate in one-man operating sessions on my own layout. I use carcards and waybills and I basically sequence so I can stop at any time and pick-up where I left off next time. There are no model railroaders within 20 miles of me. The closest club is 30 miles away and they only have modules that they set up at train shows. It's OK though, I never am embarrassed by derailments!