Tuesday Do You Have People?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

Starting to cool off in these parts. Temperatures are dropping into the fifties at night. Could fall be around the corner? I know I am not ready for snow aka still need to replace the snow blower that died last year.

Do you have people (sometimes called LPP’s) on your layout?

Currently I do not have any people on the layout. I do plan to have them but with the layout under going so much construction they would just get in the way or get lost. I have a bunch stored in drawers ready to get out. I also have a couple hundred to paint. I have recently begun to experiment with placing them in scenes just to see how things would look.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
you bet I HAVE PEOPLE!!!:thumb: i STRONGLY feel people give 'LIFE' to a layout;):D. people are GREAT attention getters:thumb:. when you look at a layout, think about how many times you were drawn to a scene and thought; "hey, thats NEAT", OR "i have done/seen people doing that before";) . i think they give a layout a "PERSONAL TOUCH", and actually brings viewers to feel "closer" to the layout:thumb: . you can be the BEST MODELER, and have the BEST LOOKING layout, but without people on it, it just looks "unnatural" to me, like a ghost town, kinda boring. announce1 BOTTOM LINE, people make a layout COME TO LIFE!;) . but hey...thats just MY OPINIONtooth1 -Deano

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yep, got people, not a lot, but got them where they count. If there's one thing that is disappointing about N scale is the level of detail missing in these figures. From a distance that's not a problem, but when you shoot a closeup picture, well, you can tell... I do have a contingent of LGP's (Little Green People) that came by a few months ago and made their home on my Atlas tower kitbash challenge and a few of them have migrated onto my layout. :rolleyes::rolleyes: This is one way to deal with the detail problem since LGP have none. :D :D

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
People! Boy do I have people. I think they really bring a layout to life. I have painted over 450 Preiser people and have about 350 either in process or waiting. Right now only about 250 are actually on the layout, but I will have many more once I add additional scenery and buildings.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Ooooooh, 'bout 60 painted, 200 unpainted...none go near my work 'til they've been altered from stock. At about an hour and a half a piece, I gotta long way to go.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Have a couple. Some LPB"s(little plastic bovine), LPP's(Little plastic pooches), LPK(little plastic kittens),an LPL(little plastic lawnmower) LPJ's(little plastic joggers) LPF's(little plastic farmers), LPBD's(little plastic beer drinkers),LPPE's(little plastic pizza eaters), LPHO(little plastic home owner).....
Thats about all right now.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I have miners setting on the porch of thier company houses, crews on the coaling towers, lumber jacks riding on the log trains, I have customers inside stores and window shoping on staurday afternoons.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I need many, many more than I have - right now that numbers is probably about 8 people total. Trying to find the right LPP is the trick. And I wonder...if the LPP isn't in the right position for wherever you need it to go on the layout, can you toss 'em in some hot water to soften then bend the plastic a bit? That way your LPP doesn't look just like everyone else's LPP and you could build more interest into some otherwise typical scenes.

Another idea I've been thinking about is printing pictures on groups of people (for Nscale) on photo paper then cutting the paper to the right size to put inside some buildings - back just a bit from the outside wall - to give the illusion of activity inside the building. I'm doing Nscale, so maybe at that small size I can pull the illusion off without it looking to 2-dimensional. Whatdaya think?