TTA ships from start to finish!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Sep 5, 2011.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Yes...lets keep this thread on topic. I have hjad enough grief sent my way on that score offline, this is a new project...and new challenges.

My stupid USB stick seems to be intent on making life hard for me too as it consumed a large chunk of the progress on the CAM 117. Also...work has been crazy filling up a lot of time...and stupid work pc's now all have encryption on them so I can't work on models in my break. No fair!!!!

As luck would have it, though...it was for the best....as I have decided to change tack on the CAM 117. I am scaling it up a bit and going for a different appraoch to detailing. I need to do a bit of a test build to see if it looks good...but it should be fun. A bit tricky to build....but I hope to sort out that side too when I texture it so there will be guidelines for the greebling. Watch this space.

In the meantime, I have decided to push on with a couple of the simpler models just so I can get something up and out there.

So...I turned my hand to the Cutlass. One of the worst drawn images in the book, but a potentially nice design of ship. The line drawings that come with the 3D art are totally out of synch with the full artwork, and the top of the ship is also completely out of view...so I have added my own interpretation of that. May not be to everyones taste...but I think it fits.

Pictures to follow :)
  2. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE

Yes, please do not use the line drawings...I think Cowley or whoever the artist was who did those interpretations tied one too many over at the pub when they drew them...
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

If you have a big enough Flash drive, you should be able to install the program on it and run off of the USB stick. Unless they have them locked out too. I know you can run Firefox off of a flash drive. :)
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Yeah....but every time you save anything to the USB Flash Drive, it encrypts it.....so I can't open it at home. I can work there....but not at home. Or at home...but not there...

Still...

Have a first draft Cutlass done, but I am not 100% happy with the front...needs a bit of tweaking. The real 'trick' is to be able to rotate the model to the 'real' angle and have it look right....but some of the perspective was off when the artist did the painting. You really notice that when you try and make real 3D renderings of them.

Hope to get some more done this weekend
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Wow, those guys know what they are doing. Not sure what you do or who you work for, but usually when a company goes through that kind of trouble, it isn't worth it. I have to admit, I would try and find out what they use and try and work around it, but that's just me, and really can't say it is the right thing to do though. Nice to see you posting again. :)
  6. Nosports

Nosports Member

So why not work on two models ?
    one at work, one at home ???

Anyway at last you could ask them if they could free something in the break for you....
    (but ask only if you have a good standing in there and no complication could await you )
  7. ARMORMAN

Having to rebuild the same model twice....is not appealing....
  8. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

No idea why they are so security scared....I work for a Parcel company in the UK. Suppose they are concerned that I could steal all their customer data :) Gotta love a bit of paranoia!

What I am doing, though, is using my spare time at work to turn the artwork into 3-view data in a sketchpad. Really helps to get teh shape of hte thing pinned down and to work out what I am going to do with the areas that are not shown.

With the Cutlass, for example, I had to get the shape of the fuselage sorted. It's actually quite 'conical' at the sides...plus the top is not shown. Another tricky area is the rear exhausts. The artwork shows them just poking over teh fuselage, but that meant a very thick body...which it didn't look to be at first. ~Doing it on paper allowed me to work out ways that these things could work. I reckon its saved me hours of wasted modelling :)
  9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Actually, that kind of place has a customer database that could be sold, so it is understandable. Verified names of people and addresses of people. Information theft of this sort is common.
  10. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

[​IMG]

Pictures not the best quality, and Lightwave won;t let you put a background image in the 3D window....but you get the idea. Took me a lot of tries to get a result I was happy with, but once I had the hull how I wanted, I could start on the detail work.

Have been checking it by posing it in the same angle as the artwork for comparison.
  11. ARMORMAN

"I like it! I like it!"

-Bugs Bunny
  12. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Quite enjoying this project :)

Have been working on the exhaust nozzles, and they presented issues. In the pictures, you can see the lower half of the venturi only and they do not stick out the sides. They also look quite large from the shallow curve visible.

In the end, I have had to recess them into teh back of the ship to get the desired look..which I like!

I have also discarded any idea of a cabin on the upper deck as shown in the sketch. Just didn't like it.

I also consider the 'description' that has been applied by fans to the vessel as wrong. The 'experts' say it's a 9m long ship with a crew of 3. Can't see how it can only be 9m long... I reckon it's about twice that, judging form the astronaut figires in the foreground. That would result in teh canopy thing looking all wrong....so I am just not having it :)

Just got some upper deck detailing to do and then she is ready for textureing and conversion into a buildable model.
  13. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

Very interesting stuff. I've never seen these books before, think I'll have to raid Amazon!
  14. ARMORMAN

Ebay is more like it....possibly half.com
  15. Zathros

Zathros Guest

XNView has a feature called "Emboss" that does a real good job of bringing out detail. The picture I attached does a better job describing it than I could. :)

Attached Files:

16. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

17. bridgesy

bridgesy New Member

TTA Ship Builds

Fellow modelers,

Love the video. And, I applaud your efforts in constructing some of the old scifi spacecraft thatI loved as a kid (and still do). It hasbeen one of my dreams to have a model of every ship from the TTA Spacecraft 2000 to 2100 AD book. Since I've discovered card modeling, I believeit can be done and would love to collaborate with anyone on project like that.

I've tried my hand on a prototype of a K13 Shark (see attached) and wouldappreciate any feedback on how to make it better. I like to build in MS power-point, but I thinkI've have to learn an Auto CAD program for the more complex designs--the mathand model decomposition are too difficult and too time consuming to figure out.

Also, I would like any recommendations on potential SW that meet thefollowing requirements: inexpensive (e.g. <$100), easy to learn and use, andcan export in various file types ( i.e. LWO, OBJ, 3DS, others?). I know; Idreaming...

Fesu

Attached Files:

18. bridgesy

bridgesy New Member

BTW, as a critique of my own model, I only captured the main features (noseand tail, wings and exhaust pipes). As far as the missing items (to name a few), I onlycenter-mounted the wings, but they should be lower (and rounded flush tothe body); the mid-section is flat and should be more rounded; the detailingwas from the builders memory and do not include the armor plating etchings; andshark fins on the nose and tail were not added but could be easily included.Also, I've noticed that there are differences between the original K13 pictureand the updated version by Morrigan Press. I tried to make an amalgamationfrom both pics.
  19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Making slow but steady progress. Works has been hectic over the last couple of weeks, so I haven't got a huge amount more done...but I am getting close to a test build now for the Cutlass
  20. bridgesy

bridgesy New Member

My Version of a CAM117

Looking forward to the Cutlass. ...the Shark ....the Gunship ....etc.:thumb:

Attached is my first version of a TTA gunship. I built this one the hard way; but amateurs have to start some where. Also. I had to make up what the font portion of the ship, since you can't see it ineither picture in the books. I assumed there could have been an open bay to lauch all the missiles it was suppose to have.

Please tell me what you think--my kids seemed to like it, especially the K13 Shark.

Fesu

Attached Files: