Tsarist battleships project

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
One of my ongoing projects is building a series of non-kit models of Tsarist predreadnought battleship classes. I will be posting a few pictures over the next few days of those ships that I have completed so far. I hope you will find it interesting.

Clashster

Dec 1, 2006
The Conch Republic
I find that era's ships very interesting and attractive. Can't wait to see a scratch built one! One day, that is my goal, one day I will scratch build one!

Chris

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
First installment

This is my first installment, the Tsarist battleship Navarin.

I always put off the harder projects for later, so this is a pretty simple model.

000_0022.jpg

000_0023.jpg

000_0024.jpg

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
It may be simple, but it is expertly done.

I know we've discussed marketing your models in the past, and I know the hurdles, but you really have a gift for scratch building.

I know there would be many fellow modelers who would love to have access to your designs Gregory. Myself included.

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Thanks

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I also find old naval vessels intriguing. Navarin is an especially interesting design. The four funnels arranged in pairs astride are unique, giving rise to the ship's being called "the factory." She had an unfortunate end as a unit in Admiral Rozhestvenski's fleet at Tsushima. She was heavily armored with a maximum of 18 inches. The armor helped her survive gunfire from Japanese battleships and armored cruisers, but, sadly, the Navarin was overtaken by Japanese destroyers and sunk by torpedoes with heavy loss of life.

To Ebi & Carl: Sorry, the model is not computer drawn but was made by primitive trial & error methods. I do not have the necessary knowledge to create a kit.

Next up will be Tri Svatitelya prior to her rebuild. Got to see about the photographs....

S

sdk2knbk

A computer drawn model isn't always great, either. Just look at my Agincourt for proof of that. Good reference material and lots of patience are the most important things when designing or just scratchbuilding a model. From what I've seen of your ships Gregory, you've got great references, endless patience, and terrific skill, too. I'm always glad to see a new ship from you. (Your "Gin Palace" pix will be a useful reference for mine, if I ever get back to it.)

Speaking of Tsushima, have you seen the free Oslabya model that's available? I've read that it has some problems, but I haven't tried to build it yet myself. I don't have the download page, but a search here turned up the direct link; http://modelyard.narod.ru/common/oslabya.r00

There's also a thread here that discusses the model's shortcomings; http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1951&page=2

Scott K.

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Oslabya

To Scott K:

Thanks for the link to the Oslabya model and the forum comments on the model. The discussion about the model was very interesting. For some reason, I have not been able to download the model. Anyway, I don't think I would have tried to make it based upon the comments about the lack of fit. I had seen Ron C's model in the gallery. It is a beautiful model and he seems to have done an outstanding job on it. I've always thought that the class was very attractive with their unusually high sides.

To MOS958 & Clashter:

Yes, I consider the model simple. It has considerably less than the 3000-5000 parts that some kits have these days. I am patient, but not that patient. Thanks.