Trying to understand a hull design

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Feb 8, 2004
Davenport, Iowa
Moderators, I'm not sure where to post this request, please move if as necessary.

This is for all of you who love ships (the older wooden ones) or know someone who know someone...
I have been scouring the web for reference material of the Fregatte "Roter Löwe" circa 1597.

I have just 3 photos of a model and a small multi-view drawing of the ship. What I'm really looking for is a photo that shows the entire aft end and/or a 3/4 shot of the aft end.

Any help with this will be VERY much apreciated!

Thanks in advance!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Can you post the pictures you have? Or send me a P.M. with them. I may be able to loft the hull for you. I can do Hulls rather well. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
RB1.jpg RB2.jpg RB3.jpg AR1.jpg GR1.jpg I did a super quick and dirty sloppy loft of the Hull. It's not "exactly" accurate, I just don't know what you need, exactly. If you could tell me more specifically what you want, like if you actually want the Hull, let me know. When you loft a Hull, it has nothing to do on how the hull is finalized , well, it is the area you are covering, but the placement of the planking is in art unto itself, as you can tell from your drawings, but this is where you start for a paper model, as you want to be able to make it. With wood, different story, as you can sand and grind wood, steam it, and all of that fun stuff. :)

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
After seeing those Renders I did at 2 A.M., I felt embarrassed and did them over. This is a little better. Let me know what you need, and I will try to whip it up for you. ;)

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Feb 8, 2004
Davenport, Iowa
Wow, That's exactly what I'm looking to accomplish!

Since my last posts, I have found some drawings with cross-sections and a grid patterrn from which to develop deck sections. Your work has given me much insight to see what the hull will look like.

I have never worked on a ship build, much less design one. But I have been reading the threads and builds so I have a little understanding and know that I need to start with the internal structure to lay the side planking over.

I have almost finished with drawing up this internal structure and hope to have something preliminary to build in the next week or so. I just got back from a business trip last week and have another one next week I just found out about.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Very interesting program. I will have to check it out. Looks promising. Your model of this ship is outstanding, if not yours, then whomever it belongs to.

The initial drawing I made was very fast. It is a lofting, not a plank layout. The "FreeShip" program requires a lot of hand fitting, which, to be honest, you do not need any computer to do. If you actually just copy the forms off of a drawing scaled to the size you need, then you can make the ship without a computer, as was done for 1000's of years. the idea of NURBS modeling is to take away the need to fit, and fill, sand, etc any parts. As I stated, the Hull work did was around 20 minutes worth of work. The planking would not take long at all as the lines can be projected, and in all honesty, making a ship with that much detail almost demands individual planking, to really finalize the ship.

The model I rendered above has hard curves towards the end, but that is easily fixed, as once the shape has been established, by simply moving the control points, the radii can be blended. The idea behind is is to product a model that can be put together without any sanding or filling. If filling and sanding is not an issue, then the software I use, Rhino3D 5.0 cannot be beat for designing ships, as it will calculate the displacement of the hull, has parametric scaling, prints one to one, so you can actually print out the templates for a full size ship by aligning sheets of paper squares, or have the vectors sent to someone with a plotter and have full size templates made. My Epson `13" x 19" printer will actually print up to 4' feet in length, so a nice size, let's say 25' feet, personal sail boar, could have the templates printed up at your home, then taped together at the alignment marks, laid on plywood, and you can start building your boat.

I'm not sure if "FreeShip" is a drawing program as opposed to a CAD program. I think it's a drawing program. I also think, from what I have seen, as I have tried it a bit, it would work really well with other designs too. It is the final fitting of compound curves that is the bane of paper modeling. If filing, fillers, and painting are used, then you have a mixed media model, which is fine by me. I think you can get a better looking model that way. :)

Link to "FreeShip" and more programs = http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeship/

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Ron,
I rounded the stern to show that it does not have to be one rigid virtually, just manipulation of control points. All parts unfold. Again, this is a sample, one done for release would be done more carefully. :)

NR1.jpg NR2.jpg