Trying to decide

pablo

Oct 17, 2004
Need some wise advise, on what should I get to start our train (my son is 6 my daughter is 7)
I've read some material, and the recommendation is HO scale, and not a starter set, rather, a "good engine" good power, etc., etc, becasue of the age of the kids
Our situation is: a) I will not be able to vacate space to build a 4x8 model or larger, and a transportable 4x8 will be cumbersome and to dependent in me playing with the kids. b) Budget is limited, at least, until I see the kid/s getting interested.
The 2 options I see are
Scale N, so I can build an interesting layout, on a 2x4 or so, or Scale H and build something simple that could fit in a 2x4, or 2x6 or so (in this last option, I did not see too much examples, mostly ovals with not much space)
On the other point, "budget", I was thinking in good used material, N and HO are similar in prices, with more variety in HO, and probably more chances to access to a larger inventory of used engines, or again few new pieces.

What'd be the best compromise for both of our needs? Any help?

Thank you ... Pablo

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I built a twice around over/under layout on a 3' x 4' layout for my nephew. The grade was steep, and required two powered locomotives to pull the train up the incline. I used a set of super powered Athearn "blue box" f7s. Athearn f7s should be readily available used, and reasonably priced new. Any of the four axle Athearn diesels will work with 18 inch radius. Another possibility is to build a fold up table like a folding ping pong table. It could be folded for storage, and unfolded to run trains. Any structures would need to be removed and stored on shelves when the railroad was not in use.

petey

May 17, 2004
Best Size

Seems to me that the most critical factor for you is size. Therefore, I would suggest N scale as the compromise for you. You will have extensive product selection, competitive pricing, and a 2 X 4' layout will provide much in the way of interesting layout plans.:) Keep in mind that this equates to an approximate 4 X 8' HO layout. Good Luck.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
petey said:
Seems to me that the most critical factor for you is size. Therefore, I would suggest N scale as the compromise for you. You will have extensive product selection, competitive pricing, and a 2 X 4' layout will provide much in the way of interesting layout plans.:) Keep in mind that this equates to an approximate 4 X 8' HO layout. Good Luck.

I'm not sure a 6 & 7 year old will be able to use n scale. It used to be that that was the age kids were first introduced to Lionel.