TRY Krapny B-P Defiant Build- time lapse

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by shrike, Dec 17, 2006.

1. shrike

shrike Guest

I've seen and enjoyed all of the step by step builds here and I thought I'd like to try one myself.

Given that I don't always get as much good build time as I like, and having just finished a kit that took a couple of months to finish because of that, I thought I'd try someting much simpler to build. Maybe something that would bridge the gap between a FG one-niter, and an intimidating Halinski museum piece.

The Defiant kit(see First Impressions) I got from Orel a while back seemed to fit the bill.

OTOH, being me, I had to try something a little different. Instead of being a step by step construction,with each subassembly and stage photographed, I thought I would try taking pictures at a set interval - approx 15 minutes - throughout the build.

Here is TRY Krapny's Boulon Paul Defiant NF1 in 1:33
    View attachment 5209

View attachment 5210

View attachment 5211

Attached Files:

2. shrike

shrike Guest

Attached Files:

3. shrike

shrike Guest

Attached Files:

4. shrike

shrike Guest

Attached Files:

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Very Good! Does this have an interior? It looks like the fit is pretty good, any problems so far?, I've seen a bunch of these for sale at some of the internet companies and wondered about them. Great build, keep 'em flyin'.!
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Neat way of showing your build by keeping the view the same...

We can collect all the pics and make an animated gif of the plane going together :D.
  7. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Superb set of nice clear photos.. Looking forward to following this thread.
  8. shrike

shrike Guest

The kit is very simple with no interior details at all. No cockpit or wheelwells. It might be possible to add them, but I have to say that it wouldn't be worth the effort compared to buying a more detailed kit to begin with. It does offer the option of building the turret streamlining fairings in the open or closed position.

There have been a couple of fit problems. Nothing as yet insurmountable. It really needs joining strips and if I were to do it over I would join the panels first rather than try the "strip on bulkhead" technique.

The fuselage is built in upper and lower halves, which sort of makes sense with the platform supporting the turret, but not how I'd design it myself. The bulkheads on the lower half took some sanding ( about 1mm at the bottom) to fit properly, and I built a kink into the middle aft section. I'm willing to take or share blame on that one.
    The upper half bulkheads, OTOH are completely useless. The formed skins sit a full 6mm+ higher than the former at the firewall, and 3mm high at the turret deck aft former. It may be a serious problem with the pilot's canopy. We'll just have to find out.

Animating the build was bandied about when I started. The wife, who is a smart woman and actually read the manual, thinks that the camera might be persuaded to stich images together into a video file. (as opposed to me who just wanted to take some pics) I have the same company's Stuka kit that might just work for that.
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is looking good, and indeed an interesting and novel photography approach. Day in the life of a card modeler!

Rick
  10. shrike

shrike Guest

Attached Files:

11. shrike

shrike Guest

Attached Files:

12. shrike

shrike Guest

Attached Files:

13. shrike

shrike Guest

Here is the former/fit problem I mentioned before. The gap, as noted, is about 6mm. Oddly enough all of the upper panels seem match each other, so I'm inclined to think it's a problem organic to the kit rather than the build.
    View attachment 5237
    That was, BTW only the upper panels AFT of the firewall. The upper cowling doesn't match the former either, and leaves a 3mm gap. The panel isn't glued on here, I have at least one idea to fix it, or at least make it presentable from a distance.
    View attachment 5238
    There is also a wing fit problem. (no pics at the moment) The outer wing panels are symmetrical top and bottom, left and right. The inner wing panels are not, they have an airfoil shape (although, again, not quite the same as the formers). There is an external strip to cover the joint, which helps a bit, but it's still and awkward transition to say the least.

Next up is emmpenage and then the cockpit and turret

Attached Files:

14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

looking great! this will be one for the reserves :)
    Chris
  15. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Shrike:
    Great build!
    Jim
  16. shrike

shrike Guest

While I thank you for the kind words, I wouldn't call it a great build. Not even a good build. It's been a tad frustrating at times, and the black on black colour scheme hides a multitude of sins!
    I think that if I hadn't started this thread, I might have binned this one already.

View attachment 5242

View attachment 5243

View attachment 5244

Attached Files:

17. shrike

shrike Guest

The turret went together as well as a petalled hemisphere can. A pleasant surprise, really. No indication of the slots the guns are supposed to pass through tho', so it was cut and hack time.
    View attachment 5245

View attachment 5246
    The aft turret fairing can be raised or lowered on a paper flap hinge. Looks better down.
    View attachment 5247
    That's all for today.

Attached Files:

18. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Shrike:
    It is looking good so far! Don't bin it yet. Remember: only you are close enough to the model to see the "mistakes".

Jim
  19. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

your work its just no word

realy nice and perfect :)
  20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Frustrating or not you are coming along fine. Looks good, I've always admired this aircraft as the night fighter version.