Trucklover's Shelf Layout Thread

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Got the Foam!!!!

I made the trip down to the San Diego Lowes yesterday and bought 10 sheets of the 2'x8 Tongue and Groove 1" Foam Insulation Board. They had 12 of them, but 2 of them were badly damaged so i just took the 10 good ones lol.

I started cutting them down into 4'x18" sections to fit on my shelf's. I glued them down with Liquid Nails Projects Adhesive and layed out some buildings and trucks on the foam to give me an idea of where i wanted the buildings

SL371209.jpg

SL371210.jpg

SL371211.jpg

SL371212.jpg

SL371213.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Layout Construction Started

I started construction last night on the section that had been glued down with Liquid Nails. i have layed a few tracks down and glued them to the foam with WS Foam Track Glue where they are needed for the Industrial Buildings. After i get all the tracks in the right places, i will lay down the roads and yards for the truck docks on the buildings. Many spots of the roads and yards will require inbeded tracks in the asphalt so i will need to do this as well.

Heres some pics of my progress

SL371214.jpg

SL371215.jpg

SL371216.jpg

SL371217.jpg

SL371218.jpg

SL371219.jpg

SL371220.jpg

SL371221.jpg

SL371222.jpg

SL371223.jpg

jbaakko

Darn Josh, you came all the way down here, and didn't manage to tell me you were here!? You could have stopped by!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
lol, a GP40-2! It seems so out of place, lol. I love the industrial section. I only wonder if you mainline is supposed to pass through there? that looks like a tough spot in that last picture to get a good radius in.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks Kevin :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Darn Josh, you came all the way down here, and didn't manage to tell me you were here!? You could have stopped by!

lol well im sure i will be back down there soon :mrgreen: I hadnt realized that the Lowes was right next to Padres Stadium!!! i was just there mid summer for a game i went to with my girlfriend and her family lol. I was like whoa, theres the stadium i was at.... and then theres Lowes lol

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
lol, a GP40-2! It seems so out of place, lol. I love the industrial section. I only wonder if you mainline is supposed to pass through there? that looks like a tough spot in that last picture to get a good radius in.

sign1 I know thats what i was thinking when i set that loco on the tracks, but i have to use smaller locos in the industrial areas cuz i have to use #4's coming off the mains to get into the tight areas, all well, just another excuse to get some smaller locos hehehehehe :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Russ Bellinis

The smaller locos will work well in the industrial switching areas and are prototypical for the U.P. as well. U.P. has sold off a lot of their Gp38-2s and Gp40-2s, but a lot of them are sold off to leasing companies, leased back to U.P. and still in U.P. paint with the leasing company patch below the window on the cab. I've also seen the U.P. use some of their newest mainline power for local switching duties. In Orange County on the Santa Ana branch they must use older smaller power I think. I don't think some of the tracks down there will handle big power. If you are modeling some BNSF branch line or industrial areas, they use all older 4 axle power from chop nosed Gp9's with custom cabs (I'm having a "senior moment" right now and can't remember the name of the Santa Fe shop where the chop nosed Gps were rebuilt and given the name of that shop). They also run a lot of Gp30's (rebuilt to Gp35 specs internally), Gp35's, Gp38-2's, and Gp39-2's. I think they also run a lot of exBn gp power, but I'm not that familiar with BN power. By the way, most of the BNSF Gp power units I see in industrial switching here in So Cal is still painted in blue & yellow warbonnet.

I knew as soon as I hit the "submit" button the name would come to me. They are called "Topeka Cabs" and were built in the Argentine shops if my memory is correct. they look a lot like a stock EMD cab but are about 6 inches taller with a steeper rake on the roof slopes on each side.

jbaakko

lol well im sure i will be back down there soon :mrgreen: I hadnt realized that the Lowes was right next to Padres Stadium!!! i was just there mid summer for a game i went to with my girlfriend and her family lol. I was like whoa, theres the stadium i was at.... and then theres Lowes lol
Scratches head...

Qualcom? Padres play at Petco downtown now. Have for a few years. Yeah, it is a block away from the Q...

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
The smaller locos will work well in the industrial switching areas and are prototypical for the U.P. as well. U.P. has sold off a lot of their Gp38-2s and Gp40-2s, but a lot of them are sold off to leasing companies, leased back to U.P. and still in U.P. paint with the leasing company patch below the window on the cab. I've also seen the U.P. use some of their newest mainline power for local switching duties. In Orange County on the Santa Ana branch they must use older smaller power I think. I don't think some of the tracks down there will handle big power. If you are modeling some BNSF branch line or industrial areas, they use all older 4 axle power from chop nosed Gp9's with custom cabs (I'm having a "senior moment" right now and can't remember the name of the Santa Fe shop where the chop nosed Gps were rebuilt and given the name of that shop). They also run a lot of Gp30's (rebuilt to Gp35 specs internally), Gp35's, Gp38-2's, and Gp39-2's. I think they also run a lot of exBn gp power, but I'm not that familiar with BN power. By the way, most of the BNSF Gp power units I see in industrial switching here in So Cal is still painted in blue & yellow warbonnet.

I knew as soon as I hit the "submit" button the name would come to me. They are called "Topeka Cabs" and were built in the Argentine shops if my memory is correct. they look a lot like a stock EMD cab but are about 6 inches taller with a steeper rake on the roof slopes on each side.

WOW SWEET, Thanks for all the info Russ!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thats definitely going to help me out in picking out new smaller locos for switching my industries :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Scratches head...

Qualcom? Padres play at Petco downtown now. Have for a few years. Yeah, it is a block away from the Q...

Thats what i had thought, i member he Padres Stadium being more downtown area....

ahhhhh gotcha, i did not know that there were 2 stadiums in Sand Diego :eek:ops: :eek:ops: sign1

Russ Bellinis

I should have added that the U.P. has not disposed of all of their 4 axle power. I've seen Gp40-2's and those peculiar SW's with the high bulge on the front of the hood used extensively in Orange County.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I should have added that the U.P. has not disposed of all of their 4 axle power. I've seen Gp40-2's and those peculiar SW's with the high bulge on the front of the hood used extensively in Orange County.

I think i have a GP40-2 in UP already :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Blue Star Ready Mix

I built and completed the Walthers Cornerstone Series Blue Star Ready Mix building. This building as well as the Walthers Cornerstone Series Valley Cement, Red X Cement, Medusa Cement, ADM Grain Building, Bulk Transfer Conveyor, and Black Gold Asphalt Hot Mix Plant are going to be combined in one GIANT complex along one of the walls on my layout. It will be serviced by both rail and trucks. Some of you may have seen my thread about how to get the decals in the Blue Star Ready Mix Name..... but i need logos for all the buildings above, train cars which will include Open Hoppers and cement Covered Hoppers, and trucks which will include Dump Trucks, Gravel Trucks, Cement Trucks (both 10-axle and 22-axle Bulk Cement Truck Trailer Trucks) and a few other random trucks and pick-ups. Im hoping that i can get someone to custom make them all for me of i can somehow do them myself lol

Anyways, heres some pics of the Blue Star Ready Mix Plant i built

SL371225.jpg

SL371226.jpg

SL371227.jpg

SL371228.jpg

SL371229.jpg

SL371230.jpg

SL371231.jpg

Russ Bellinis

Josh, you don't really need rail cars with cement company logos. Most cement is hauled in short covered hoppers owned and operated by the railroad with a railroad logo. The Cemex plant in Victorville ships product out by the U.P., but they occasionally receive switching help from the BNSF. When I took the tour during the NMRA National Convention, all of the cement hoppers in the Cemex yard belonged to the railroads.

Triplex

Even ex-ATSF GP60s and GP60Ms are used on locals.

Ex-BN GPs include GP38-2s, GP39-2s, and GP39E/M/Vs (rebuilds from GP30s and GP35s). They're also rebuilding GP50s (the ones they haven't sold off) into "GP25"s.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Even ex-ATSF GP60s and GP60Ms are used on locals.

Ex-BN GPs include GP38-2s, GP39-2s, and GP39E/M/Vs (rebuilds from GP30s and GP35s).

I've seriously been considering modeling one of these GP30 rebuild units, even though it is outside the realm of what i usually model.

They're also rebuilding GP50s (the ones they haven't sold off) into "GP25"s.

lol, they must feel like half the train they used to be...:p

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Josh, you don't really need rail cars with cement company logos. Most cement is hauled in short covered hoppers owned and operated by the railroad with a railroad logo. The Cemex plant in Victorville ships product out by the U.P., but they occasionally receive switching help from the BNSF. When I took the tour during the NMRA National Convention, all of the cement hoppers in the Cemex yard belonged to the railroads.

Thanks for the info Russ, i was only going to put logos on the hoppers cuz i have seen others do the same, but you are right, its not very prototypical lol. I think i will just stick to BNSF and UP logos on the cars :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: